Sunday, April 22, 2007

4am wake up!


We had only been sleeping for four hours when the alarm whet off at 4am Saturday morning. Once out of bed we only had a few minutes to wake up and get Tracy’s gear into the car. We were then off to pick up one of her friends on the way to the airport. A few beers and only 4 hours sleep was not treating me well as we neared the airport all I could think of was going back to bed.

Tracy is not in Costa Rica and will be enjoying a week of 30’C weather, hiking driving along the cast with a rented jeep, cheap beer and mojitos. She is also there for something that she has wanted to try for years; surfing. They will be on the coast most of the time so there will be several days that they will be able to get some boards and give it a try.

We knew that the surfing was good and big in Costa Rica but had no clue as to how big it really is. Many surfing films including Endless Summer II were filed on the Costa Rican shores. Many of the top pro surfers are from Costa Rica and many from around the world make it a training destination as well.

The area boasts some of the most famous surf breaks with some swells as large as 12ft on average. Obviously Tracy won’t be getting into big surf but I am sure that it will be quite fun trying to get on to the board and hopefully getting some small rides out of it, with the sun shining, beautiful scenery and warm ocean water.

So I am on my own for a week which started a little crazy yesterday but I will leave that for another discussion and it will not be discussed on hear. It should be nice week even though I still have one more exam on Friday. I planned on riding a lot this week but the stupid rear shock won’t be in for another week or so. I guess I will have to be satisfied with some climbing and hiking.


I am also looking into performance driving schools in Canada. A friend of a friend comes from an extremely wealthy family and was able to attend a driving school when he was younger. To impress several people in his vehicle he did a 90 degree drift between two medians at 80km/h on Merivale. Would I ever use this one the street probably not but learning how to do it -among other things- in someone else’s car would be great. I must say it is not a completely useless talent as I have avoided a few accidents over the years by using my emergency break into a drift.

Anyway I am off to see my folks and enjoy the weather. I will hopefully have time to find out the 0-60 in the rabbit.

Forts –listening to Leonard Cohen “woke up this morning” among others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well that picture makes it look easy. Not that I ever anticipated it being easy, but I certainly have a new found respect for the water. I was tossed around like a rag doll during most attempts, but managed to conquer a few waves in the end. Pretty good for no lessons.