Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Abuse/Neglect or a parents' choice?

Do you think feeding fast food (like McDonald’s) to children on a regular basis is a form of abuse/neglect?

Your options;
-Yes, kids need nutrition to grow healthy and fast food can cause them to be sick or obese.

-It's not abuse/neglect, but it's really not in the kids' best interest to eat food that's not healthy.

-No, parents should be able to feed their kids whatever they want. It's their right.

This was the question, picture and three possible answers from the following web page.
http://teamsugar.com/user/imahoopie/polls/267346
I was sent this link this morning and started thinking. First off I was angry at the parents for allowing their children too -not only- eat unhealthy but to obviously eat junk/fast foods on a regular basis.

Second the facts that Tracy found from her research and papers relating to diabetes, obesity, childhood obesity, and some of my own from my medical geography courses.

Third films like ‘Super Size Me’ need to be watched and understood. Understand that these foods are harmful for an adult if consumed regularly. To a child they can be devastating and creating terrible eating habits for the rest of their lives resulting in; Diabetes, obesity, heart problems, kidney failure, low sex drive, low self-confidence, lower mental capacity and more.

Finally I am really saddened and frustrated by this. I know some people might say "Why do you have to write about this so often?" I have written a great deal about health, fitness and children’s health. Does it make a difference? maybe to some, but it is important and important to me. One of my old articles from last year motivated a perfect stranger to post a comment saying that she was moved by it and wanted to work even harder on her health and fitness.

But many people in North America don't understand why they should change and some just don’t care. I know some people will say education, economics, no time … And I agree but only a little with the education, some just don’t know any better.

But no time or money to make a proper meal BS. That is like a dad/mom that can’t buy their child a toy at bc they have to buy cigarettes and beer.
No sorry I need much better excuses then that. I am not saying I am perfect and no I do not know what it is like to have children, but day in and day out I make tasty, healthy, nutritious meals the shortest 10 minutes the average being 20. The only time meals take 35mins+ is when I have the time or on weekends or for guests when there is a lot of prep and/or cooking time.

I know with kids it is different but like I have said in the past my mom worked long hours and she found a way and so can everyone else. Make meals and freeze them, plan meals for the week on Sunday, whatever it takes.

The last part is the idea that it is a treat. I agree with this but a treat several times a week or once a week. As children grow what they eat is crucial to how they grow. An active -key word ACTIVE- child of 7 to 10 need 1600 to 2000cals a day for proper growth and activity; you are looking at ~400cals/3 meals and ~200cals/3 snacks roughly. They require a well balanced diet including proteins, carbs, fruits, grains, and fats.

A big mac meal; 540cals (mac), 570 (fries), 310(coke) a total of 1420cals 60g of fat and 150g of sugar. So what is a 10 year old child going to eat for the rest of the day? He/she already has 1420cals consumed in one meal. Wait it doesn’t matter the kid is going to be so lethargic they won’t get off the couch anyway. So a kid eating this everyday, a few times a week, once a week, is way too much.

At 29 years old I allow myself one day of ‘bad food’ every couple of weeks or longer, this may include Tostitos and salsa, some chips but not very often and the amount and type of junk I choose are some of the better options. Maybe once to max twice a year on a real bad weekend I will have a highly fatty meal, but think of this;
On average I do weights 5 times a week, run 4 times and hike or bike 2 to 3 times a week in the summer. One hour of lifting weights alone for my size I burn aprox. 400cals. Does a kid that sits and plays video games or watches TV like the one in the picture burn 400cals minimum a day?

Obviously my answer to the question;
Yes, kids need nutrition to grow healthy and fast food can cause them to be sick or obese.
Let me know what you think.
Forts

No comments: