
The pic; sweating through "Man Makers" -Push-up, one-arm row right, lower, push-up, one-arm row left- yes they are as brutal as they sound.
This past long weekend was one of many this summer some from stat holidays others taken as time off for hiking and road trips, weddings, bachelor parties, parties, patios, and visiting family they are a premium and are almost booked solid already.
One thing that I did different this weekend was not heading to the bars or partying real late. Even after a BBQ party at our place people went out and I chose to stay at home and enjoy a few drinks there. It was great and with the new program I am on it was necessary as the recovery is as demanding as the training it self. The power/strength/endurance circuit is even better then I had ever expected.
I recommend this program to anyone that has been training for a long period of time and requires a shock to their body, or anyone looking for speed, flexibility, and endurance for sports, or someone looking for weight loss and doesn’t want to stick to a traditional weight program all week long. Anyone can benefit from this program with minor adjustments made to fit individual needs and goals.
Saturday was the first time I completed the circuit program and although I was beat later that day I was stronger and still had more endurance then expected after my long time off from injury.
Training tip; I have only started this last week to see if it works at all. I see it more as a mental thing and as I agree with Tracy I will need to see if there is actually a physiological enhancement possible from it. If so it would have come in handy the years I spent in karate.
Controlled breathing; for those with low cardiovascular ability and as a skill when under physical and mental stress from sport, ex. martial art fighting. The idea is to do a set, take a number of breaths (based on some ratio to the number reps you just did), then do the next set.
For a simple example, side bends breathing ladder with a 1:1 rep/breath ratio. You do a 1 side bend rep, you take a breath. Pretty simple. Those with lower levels of cardio ability could start with something like 1:1 or even 1:2 1 rep take a breath or 2 as required.
Controlled breathing; for those with low cardiovascular ability and as a skill when under physical and mental stress from sport, ex. martial art fighting. The idea is to do a set, take a number of breaths (based on some ratio to the number reps you just did), then do the next set.
For a simple example, side bends breathing ladder with a 1:1 rep/breath ratio. You do a 1 side bend rep, you take a breath. Pretty simple. Those with lower levels of cardio ability could start with something like 1:1 or even 1:2 1 rep take a breath or 2 as required.
I attempted a 2:1 ratio of 2 reps 1 breath and found that it wasn’t bad at fist once nearing the 16 to 18 reps my mind was starting to wonder where the oxygen was as I was still putting out physical exertion. It seemed to be helpful as I relaxed and learned to be patient for that breath and slowed down my breathing when it was time to take in the breath. I figure I will use this from time to time to see if it helps build lung capacity.
Saturday also marked the Sens win into the cup finals. I watched some of the game but was to busy enjoying the weather and preparing for that night’s festivities to really watch much of the game. Glad to see they won not sure who I want them to see in the finals as the Sens will have to prepare themselves for a more physical and fast paced game that they are use to.
Toronto FC also played Saturday unfortunately not wining this time. They have won two this season so far but their points are hurting as they have lost the other 5 and have not tied any ranking them lower. But they are not in last place which is great.
Forts
2 comments:
Through an astonishing maze of weblinks, I found my 55 year old female self reading your well-written blog intently here in Arizona this evening, October 24, 2007. All the best to you as you continue to live your life actively, honorably, intensely, humorously and intelligently. You make your parents proud, I know. Our 25 year old daughter lives a similar life. If more of your generation would do the same, I would find great comfort and hope that the world will survive some of the idiocy that is seemingly driving us down the highway to hell. Get your H3 and drive us back up and out!
Thank you for your kind words. I hope that you enjoy the blog entries.
And you never know even though I am sometimes cynical of where we will end up as a society I hope that we can make some changes and maybe we will have a better outlook on how to live sustainable with all the masses in mind.
Thanks again
Post a Comment