
For many decades the general population has known that many pro-sport athletes have been using sport enhancement drugs be it steroids, blood doping with erythropoietin (EPO), testosterone injections even legal stuff like caffeine and so on.
A little weasel journalist is attempting to make money by writing two separate books about the doping scandal in professional cycling and more specifically, The Tour de France. David Walsh, chief sports writer of the Sunday Times of London will release two books a week before the race begins, making another year that the race will attract those just curious about the controversies and not the race it self.
Now a side note here. I am not an idiot -at least I don’t believe that I am- and I will say that I know some cyclists have and use doping and other drugs. So I can understand an author wanting to write about the tour and the doping problems over the years. But the point that I am coming to is the attack on the American -which believe it or not has a lot to do with it- cyclist Lance Armstrong. Plus I am not naive enough to think that he may not have used but all the evidence show that he didn't. The amount of testing he went through each year in a month period is almost impossible for something to not show up.
First things first; It is said that Armstrong –during his fight against cancer- admitted to a Doctor that he had used some enhancement drugs early in his professional career, but this was refuted and Armstrong won the case out of court. But this aside the strength and determination that Armstrong had to fight cancer was inspiring. After he defeated the disease he devoted a great deal of money and time to help those suffering from the same disease, and you didn’t have to read his book -which I did- to see this as it was in the public eye. But what his book did provide was a window into the fear he had of cancer and the determination, strength, will he and those closest to him had to defeat it.
Now a man that was so driven to defeat cancer, and to go on and inspire those to carry on their fight against the disease, do you really believe that he would come out of the hospital after all the pain, multiple surgeries and treatment just to put a drug in his body that may send him right back into the same predicament?
And second; Lance was tested the same amount or more then any other cyclist. He volunteered for testing while he was completing his world record of 7 consecutive wins. He invested money so there could be further testing. Every time he was tested nothing was found. Now there would not have been enough blood transfusions nor would he have had the energy to get out of bed let alone cycle as hard as he did if he would have had a blood change every time he was going to be tested.
Why am I taking about this? Bc I tend to believe Lance. For the reasons above, Cancer and his involvement with the sport, and his determination to win clean. Plus it has to do with the fact that not only the 7 wins inspire me but what the human body and mind can accomplish when put to the test. If I am told that they find evidence proving that he doped and he admits it then 1. I will have to accept it and 2. It will be hard to take as there are not many pure and truly inspiring events in this world anymore and coming back from cancer to win 7 tours in a row is truly inspiring.
While writing his I started thinking about using steroids and doing sports clean. So I will post this one now and shortly after I will post something about roids vs. natural achievement.
No comments:
Post a Comment