The image is of the 2007 Hike for the Cure crew after the hike enjoying some pints. Although Ivan and Steve had to retire early before the 100km finish they were determined to complete there missing distances and did so a couple weeks later.The 2007 hike was an extremely successful event and I wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped out, it was greatly appreciated. As most of you know not long after the hike Marjolaine lost her battle with cancer. She is still and will always be with us and in our thoughts and hearts. In her honor the annual hike will be; The Marjolaine Perras Hike for the Cure.
Last year the hike was created, organized and completed all within approximately 3 months. With the help from each individual and the Cancer society we were able to raise a great deal of money. This year I am announcing that the 2008 donation drive will commence in the next couple of weeks with the hike being planed for July/August (date to be determined).
This will give us 6 to 7 months to hopefully raise a greater amount of donations. The cancer society has also informed me that with this extended amount of time and that this is becoming an annual event, we will be working together to establish media coverage leading up to and including the day of the hike. The donation forms I am told will be completed hopefully by next week and at that point I will let everyone know and I will begin collecting.
There was also a great deal of interest shown by many people that wanted to participate in the hike this year. So with this earlier announcement those who wish to complete the hike, or a portion of it, will have the ability to prepare for the day. As I said in my ‘New Years’ post, one of my resolutions is to get a greater amount of donations along with as many people as possible out on the hike.
That being said the hike will consist of another two day trail hike through Gatineau Park. It will be slightly shorter, 80km instead of 100, for those wishing to attempt the entire distance. The start and end point both being the same will consist of several kms of bicycle path allowing for those who prefer not to be on the trail to attend.
Further details i.e. dates, start times and maps will be provided for those wishing to hike 1 km, 2, 5…40 or 80km. Any concerns on when or where to start or meet us can be directed to me and I will try to help as much as possible.
Also like last year there of course will be an after party on the Saturday with the location being determined a month or so prior to the hike. So if you don’t feel like hiking but want to donate and raise a few pints then feel free to join us as everyone is welcome. There will also be another facebook group created (coming soon).
We all known someone fitting or affected by cancer in any form. I hope to see as many people out as possible. ‘Lets Make Cancer History’
1 comment:
I am looking forward to the hike although my toe nail from the Sept 2007 hike is just growing back now) and am getting into both training and fundraising mode. It was a great event last year and I hope we can get the same support we received last year and more.
Post a Comment