I have never really been a big fan of reality shows no matter the concept. Even with all the camping and out door activities Tracy and I do, we can’t even watch survivor man. One genre of reality show that has been kicked around several times is that of showcasing average people attempting to overcome their deepest and darkest fears in the form of mental and physical challenges.So on this subject I happened to catch an episode of Jack Osbourne’s – The Recruits. The idea is rather simple; Jack takes 5 young individuals around the world to confront their fears in some of the most extreme sports and activities known to man. But this isn’t just a sweet trip to attempt all these events.
See where I actually respect the show, somewhat, is the fact that each young person involved -just like Jack did- needed a change in their lives. Extreme sports and the constant search of adrenaline changed Jack’s life as he now has no -or at least less- interest in being lazy, partying and doing drugs. He actually has respect for other cultures and people -as far as I can tell from the interviews with him, could be BS though.
So they all vary in their problems, one guy has had a hard time staying out of trouble on the rough streets of London. Another was bullied for years in high school and is now completely terrified of doing anything and has become an introvert. One of the girls is a recovering addict and needs something to show her that life without drugs is actually worth living.
But where my interest was peaked was the fact that they were not simply learning how to deal with fear but also discipline along with the most important, I feel, other people’s culture which requires opening your mind and learning how to respect what might be foreign to you.
Other then bungee jumping of the space needle in Seattle, and 60 foot cliff jumping into the harsh ocean of the coast off Hawaii, these recruits also learned how to train and live like the Shaolin Monks for example. This included self-inflicted torture to grow mentally and physically.
For example bear crawls down many flights of stone stairs, and then running up the same staircase to be followed with balancing cups of water on each extended hand and one atop the head (note: yes bear crawls you crawl like a bear; actually an amazing training tool but you look a little funny doing so in your local gym's yoga room believe me I know first hand. This type of training has made the Shaolin monks some of the most disciplined and well trained martial art fighters of all time.
All in all, I will probably not watch another episode of this and regardless if he is attempting to show other people a better way of life it is still an MTV sponsored show that is attempting to get money and ratings just like any other i.e. Road rules. But in the same breath at least this isn’t about a bunch of moron’s arguing at each other b/c of having to live with them in some apartment like in the Real World.
On the same note, of those having little to no fear, I thought that I would post two trailers to the Tenton Gravity film: High Life which was the 2003 ski film of the year. Even if you are not a skier these films are amazing and views are phenomenal and these guys make it look so easy. Probably some if not the best pro skiers are showcased in many Tenton Gravity films. Not sure what punk song used in the first one but will find out and I like the metallic use in the second clip, enjoy; -I literally had chills and goose bumps during these love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment