Ok I stole that from Chuck Palahniuk but it sums up everything so well. It must have been approximately 435 yesterday afternoon when the frustration really began to take hold. I know this b/c I was in the middle of my run at the gym.I was laughing from a comment that a poker player made on TV. The comment isn’t important here but she stated that poker players are considered cool and are revered. I couldn’t help but laugh b/c poker advertisements attempt to make people like Negreanu, for ex., look cool for playing poker. Obviously these are marketing schemes as just being a card player doesn't make you ‘cool’.
Now where was I? oh yeah I guess that comment was important as it has bearing on the story, but means nothing in life itself. My annoyance from this comment is weakened as I realize the news had refreshed for the second portion of the hour.
I turn my attention from the self-involved poker player to focus on the TV that is presenting the news to those of us running in place like hamsters would. As I watch the images the journalists voice bellows in my earphones and I try to think of all the things people were doing at that moment in the world;
Leaving work, reading, having coffee, eating, giving birth, working, writing, sleeping, getting married, urinating, signing, going to school, shopping, failing, listening to music, making music, crying, loving, climbing, traveling, cooking thinking, winning losing; who knows the list is only limited by your imagination.
Myself, as I previously mentioned, happened to be running thinking about how annoying that comment was. Why did I ponder what everyone could be doing? As I watched the news and listened closely to the Tibet/China conflict, nothing anyone was doing in the world -including myself- mattered at that moment. The stupid comment I heard only a few minutes before didn’t even exist anymore.
Nothing seemed to matter not just due to the conflict and the repression from China. Not just the foreign policy, and political might China posses over Tibet. Not just that this sort of repression happens arounf the world by corrupt governments. Not just the fact that Warlords and political figures gain money and arms through annex-1 nations like; UK, US, CA, instead of it being channeled in a positive manner.
These were merely the background, or canvas if you will. They filled the back of my mind as I watched a non-combative, passive Tibetan Monk protester being kicked in the face by a dirty, steel toed, military issue combat boot, that was being wielded as a weapon might be, from a Chinese military policeman. The Monk was staying limp to neither invoke violence, nor to given to his oppressors.
The disgust began today as a protest march began for the release of the Dali lama after the Chinese government branded him a ‘Monster’ -article. That’s like saying Mother Teresa was a silent assassin working for the Russians -ok maybe not, but you get the point. Nuns, Monks and farmers took part in the march and as police confronted them they opened fire leaving one young Monk shot dead along with a Tibetan farmer.
The report also reveled the protests in Greece during the traditional lighting of the Olympic flame. The organizers stated that they were ‘appalled’ by those protesters who would bring politics into their beloved ceremony and country. I am sure that all those Tibetans are extremely sorry for bothering the Olympic community and its board of directors and will cease and desist immediately -screw off.
The Olympics in Beijing are a key issue and China is worried about protests and boycots. They fear of losing MONEY and are will be increasing military and police presence. There will be protests and boycotts regardless and I hope as many people out there will boycott the Olympics as it is a huge source of revenue for china that they not only don’t need, but more importantly, until they Free Tibet they do not deserve.
You must be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi
2 comments:
How Beijing earned the right to host the Olympics shows the (lack of) backbone of the world community. It's an absolute disgrace and I for one wouldn't be crying if it got boycotted (although it won't).
Due to the extreme pollution some athletes are opting out of their events (eg. one runner decided not to run the long distance race and do a shorter event instead). Just one more reason not to support China hosting the Olympics.
Post a Comment