Monday, March 31, 2008

“I now walk into the wild." – Chris Mccandless

"There is pleasure in the pathless woods,There is rapture on the lonely shore,There is society where none intrudes,By the deep sea and the music in its roar;I love not man the less, but Nature more."— ~Lord Byron

The second book I read from author Jon Krakauer was; Into the Wild. Warning; plot discussion and spoilers. Krakauer spent two years following leads and interviewing and befriending all those people that had their lives touched by a young adventurer. Chris Mccandless decided to live his life without the comforts of society and attempted to find what he believed life was truly about; living on, or more accurately, living with nature.

"Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."~Chris Mccandless~

Last night we decided to take a chance and watch the film, Into the Wild. I was highly skeptical and hoped that I would not be disappointed with ‘hollywoodized’ version of this young man’s life. I am actually happy to state that they did a phenomenal job. The images I had created with my imagination while reading the book, were now in front of me as director Sean Penn really nailed it.

But what I was more impressed with, and what made me the most nervous, was the overall feel and dialogue of the movie. I found that, in my opinion, it actually paid homage to Mccandless and honored the book written by Krakauer. I truly think that the movie would have been a flop if it wasn’t for the collaboration and insight from Jon Krakauer and the Mccandless family, who all helped with the film by contributing their knowledge to create an authentic and accurate film

The story portrays the adventurer, dreamer, minimalist during his travels. It reflects on all those fascinating people a man on the road can meet. The story tracks Chris to his ultimate goal to head north and live within nature. For Chris it seemed that Alaska was the epitome of nature in its most unadulterated form, most likely having something to do with the influence of literature from Jack London. With its vast landscapes and extensive natural countryside Alaska is as completely removed from society and human connection as an individual can get

Chris left behind all his money, I.D…and set off from the furthest point a vehicle can go and headed into the wild with only the basic essentials. He reached the, now famous, Fairbanks bus in April. After three months in solitude he attempted to leave in July but the river he had crossed in April was now ragging and much wider then a few months prior. He was forced to try and survive until winter. Starvation and weakness would get the better of him and his body was finally discovered by hunters and a couple hikers on September 6 1992. He had left his final words behind along with a detailed journal. He weighed in at 67 pounds and had been dead for roughly two weeks.

"I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!"
~Christopher Johnson McCandless February 12 1968 – August 18 1992~

17 comments:

Fitness Foodie said...

Loved the book immensely and equally satisfied with the portrayal of his life on the big screen. Good job SP.

Anonymous said...

In a strange coincidence, K and I watched the flick ourselves last night and had a similar response. We both enjoyed the book and thought the film did the story told by Krakauer justice. The music was great as well.

I admit I was a little worried that Penn was going to do too many nature shots, but he did a great job capturing the spirit of the stroy. Emile Hirsch was fantastic as well, reminded me of DiCaprio in his early years.

Unknown said...

"I admit I was a little worried that Penn was going to do too many nature shots"

I agree I was scared the was going to be assumptions based on Chris’ diary and would end up being scene after scene of him trying to pass the time at the bus and end up being Cast Away…BORING!

Fitness Foodie said...

Hey! Wilson happens to be one of my favorite characters!

Unknown said...

I hope that means you like the strong silent type and not air heads...

Fitness Foodie said...

You know you are clearly setting yourself up for an insult.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article. I like to write
a little comment to support you.

My web page ... understanding quotes

Anonymous said...

What's up, after reading this amazing paragraph i am too glad to share my know-how here with mates.

Here is my web site struggle quotes

Anonymous said...

I'm no longer sure where you're getting your information, but great topic.
I needs to spend a while studying much more or figuring out
more. Thank you for wonderful information I used to be looking for this information for my mission.



Visit my site ... madea quotes

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to mention that I have really
loved browsing your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing in your feed and I'm hoping you write once more very soon!


my web site feelings quotes

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it
;) I may return once again since i have book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be
rich and continue to guide others.

Also visit my web page sylvia plath quotes

Anonymous said...

For newest information you have to visit internet and on the web I found this web page as a
most excellent site for most recent updates.

Here is my web site :: depressing quotes

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.

If you have any recommendations, please share. Appreciate it!


Also visit my web-site ... amazing quotes

Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this site, and your views are good in support of
new users.

Feel free to surf to my blog: friedrich nietzsche quotes

Anonymous said...

Saved as a favorite, I really like your site!

Here is my page ... frustration quotes

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I believe your web site may be having browser compatibility issues.
Whenever I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in Internet Explorer, it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic blog!

my website - brother and sister quotes

Anonymous said...

excellent post, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector do not realize this. You must proceed your writing. I'm sure, you have
a huge readers' base already!

My site; frida kahlo quotes