It is official the times are up and the weekend is over. The second screen shot above consists of my first 10k race in 2006. The top was my time on Saturday as I hit my goal of 45mins. The slightly over 45 was due to the heat. I lost far too many fluids as I came around Bronson and was in the sun the entire way back up Colonial By. Just before the 7km marker I felt my body begin to slow down and my mind telling me to stop. I walked for no more then 10 seconds but saw the 45min pace bunny -pace holders wear rabbit ears to make them stand out- getting out of my sight it was time to start again.That loss of fluids kept me a little slower then I would have liked. But with a finishing chip time -this is actually when you cross the start and finish- of 45.21.4, I am very happy as I maintained a pace of 4:33/km.
The major difference was the training. The first time I ran the 10k I merely set a 2 or 3 month program up that consisted of running and progressively getting better to run a 50min 10. I didn’t have the speed or hill training that I needed to hold a decent pace and it resulted in 53min.
I borrowed, Running from Start to finish, from my father. I highly recommend this book to beginners, intermediate and even competitive runners. With some slight alterations to the 45min training program to meet my schedule and ability it was a completely doable program. I ran 4 days a week and not 5 as 5 would end up with over training and the longer distances were slightly shortened i.e. 23k down to 19, for injury prevention.
It always prepared me of what was to come and with its detail and intensity; I shaved 8mins and finished strong. The proof is not only in my time but my placement; 438 out of ~7050 participants. In the male category I placed 361 out of 3211. In the Male 30-34, I had a strong placing with 54 out of 475. I am extremely pleased with those numbers compared to 2006 10k.
Tracy was phenomenal as she completed a blistering fast 1:50:38 and looked strong at the finish. She maintained a ~5:23 pace for 21kms. I knew she had it in her but with a few last minute complications there was a slight bit of uncertainty in achieving that time but with her training and ability to adapt and compete she was able to put in 100%.
This week will include some rest and will be on the bike starting today to loosen up the legs as this Saturday Tracy and I have been asked by our brother-in-law to participate in the Blood Sweat and Gears event to raise money for cancer research. As a team you we will be spinning for 8 hours. There are 6 of us and with a wedding that afternoon we will be taking the early shift and start off at 8am. I hope to try and stay on the bike as long as possible so that the rest of the day is not as arduous on the remaining 4 people as we will only be able to stay till about late morning leaving them with the rest of the day.
All in all this past weekend was a great one and congrats to all those who participated. The first female to come across the 10k was in 33mins. Tracy snapped a photo of her as she crossed and she looks like a true sprinter stacked with lean muscle. She held ~3:17/km insane. I asked Tray how old she thought she was and she quickly said late 30’s or so which I agreed but, SHE WAS 19! The first male for the 10 was 28min amazing. To those all those who ran congrats and all the top athletes that finished first or in the top, you have my utmost admiration and respect.
The next 10 will hopefully be this summer as I would like to attempt that <45min.>
4 comments:
Congratulations on obtaining your goal time - you did awesome. Your hard work and dedication to your training paid off immensely.
Also thank you for pumping me up for my race, even when I was having a mental melt down about my injuries.
Just completing it is an accomplishment, but getting your 45 minute goal is icing on the cake. Nice job!
Congrats to both of you ... we are very proud or your hard work and dedication D and R
congrats to you both
We are proud
You ran real fast uncle Marc just like Dash Noah
H,J,N,&N
Post a Comment