Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Before you die; A few more.

One on the more practical side of the list as opposed to the ones I spoke of last time, is to volunteer for peace work in a third world country. Parker and I have always planned on giving back and helping others by taking a month or so of holidays to help in anyway that those needing it could use it in countries in Africa for example.

A hiking trip to base camp Everest which again in on the more practical side. The only exception is finding the time and it would have to be tied into a longer trip to spend some time in Asia and/or head to Australia or New Zealand. There are many of these trips on the list leaving me feel that there are some many places and so little time.

One that is high on my list and always have been that is slightly impractical due to costs, is obtaining my helicopter pilot license. I have always wanted to fly a helicopter and think that the opportunity of maneuvering a machine like that and to see the ground below in that fashion would be fantastic. Hell I could even kill two stones with one bird by flying a helicopter to the top of a mountain and ski down it, of course someone else would have to fly it down for me of course.

But could you imagine getting enough couples together or your buddies to rent a copter and say, oh I don’t know, fly to Vegas, NY, a hiking destination (within reasonable distance of course) what ever the imagination can come up with…of course I figure it would be hard to convince people to fly with me…

All though it is rather cliché it is still on the list just the same; skydiving. It isn’t high on the list but its there and the reason why it is that not matter if its mountain biking, skiing, or boarding…whichever the sport we always strive to get better. One of the main objectives most of us have is to get better and more efficient at jumping specifically with the size of jumps.

The bigger the jump and the more speed you can carry into them. Obviously, the higher you will go. This free moment in free air is the excitement or rush we are after. It makes us feel free, powerful and vulnerable to the outcome all at the same moment. It is an amazing feeling.

So when I think of those jumps on skis or on a bike I can not fathom the feeling one receives from free falling from a plane. Imagine falling at 190 km/h (120 mph) that has to be one hell of an experience.

No comments: