Thursday, May 17, 2007

Learn to suffer


I am addicted to the training site that Mark Twight has created, Gymjones.com check it out. He is a world renowned mountaineer who developed a revolutionary training program to condition himself for some of the biggest mountains in the world.

Many people who have seen the movie 300 are quick to ask what were those guys taking? Steroids?, was it CGI? How did they look that lean? the answer most people do not want to hear; They worked hard using Twight’s program. I have said it in the past; nothing good comes easy. If your goal is to be healthy, ready for a sport or in excellent physical condition you have to work HARD!

Here is a great bit of motivation and idea of what Mark Twight believes in when it comes to training;
The outcome of both sports competition and actual combat are decided largely by one's mental attitude. To be sure, superior firepower, whether physical or technical is a determining factor but the "heart" governs the application of resources, which makes spirit the most powerful force on the field. Acquiring the spirit necessary to win, which includes a positive acceptance of pain is difficult in a society where comfort is more highly regarded than capacity, where genuine physical fitness is the norm for less than 15% of the population. A visit to any normal gym that is open to the public offers an idea of what modern society thinks it means to be fit; magazines are read while "running" or "biking," weights are lifted by isolated muscles, often in a seated position, intensity is distinctly lacking, and "aerobics" classes are nothing more than jumping jacks set to music. Modern fitness is defined by appearance rather than actual horsepower. A training environment contaminated by this attitude cannot produce superior fitness, physical or mental.
Take a look at the progress the actors made http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=36

The only thing that I disagree with is what he said about people reading on a treadmill or bike. To be healthy we don’t need to be in elite physical shape. The average person with children, work, family, hobbies…if they get to the gym or are active 3 to 4 times a week and eat properly that is all that matters. I hate running inside on a treadmill but music or a gym TV get me through. Mark Twight is speaking of specific training.

The reason why I like the aforementioned quote is that it reminds me of why I started training in my basement when I was kid with my dad lifting weights doing rounds on the heavy bag. It is a passion and a need to constantly be challenged physically and mentally, and has become a way of life.

Sports and training consists of 90% mental 10% physical, as he says "heart governs the application of resources". If you are not mentally prepared your physical training does not matter ex the Senators came into last nights game mentally unprepared and buffalo took advantage of that.

My new challenge is ready I am going to build my self up to the "300" workout;
25x Pull-up + 50x Deadlift @ 135lbs+ 50x Push-up + 50x Box Jump @ 24" box + 50x Floor Wiper @ 135# (one-count) + 50x KB Clean and Press @ 36# (KB must touch floor between reps) + 25x Pull-up for a total of 300 reps total with no rest between each exercise.

Mine will be similar a couple modifications and I know the first time I do this my reps will be very low which is expected. I will do this circuit once after a warm up, some maintenance training, then to finish I will do the circuit again. Hopefully in a few weeks of cursing, sweat and tears I will be able to complete the entire circuit adding up to the 300 reps.

If anyone is interested in taking up this challenge with me I could use a partner or two. This will be done every Saturday and once I have a couple things I need it will be done out side in a soccer field to enjoy the sun,

Forts –tomorrow proper recovery foods, supplements, nutrition…

No comments: