Friday, May 4, 2007

Plenty O’Soccer


Every couple of Saturdays I get together with some buddies and we make our way to our favorite pub -Georgetown- that starts playing soccer matches as they are serving breakfast at 9am. We generally stroll in around 11am or 1pm and take a seat for some pints, food, and great and sometimes not so great soccer.


This summer will mark the first Canadian MLS team, Toronto FC -football club. Although the lads have a decent team, they have yet to score a single goal in four matches. Many of the guys have never played MLS, some are coming back from concussions or other injuries. Although the shaky start there is a team there and with the right coaching staff they have a great group to work with -unlike TO’s other team the one that plays our national game and tends to stink it up most nights sorry Stan.


Forward, Edson Buddle, will be one to watch as he collected 79 points in 83 games, 33 goals and 13 assists. There are a few young players who are showing some promise and I think that it is just a matter of time before the team comes together and understands how each teammate plays together.


But what an undertaking for Toronto to add soccer team with a brand new practical and not over done stadium to a city -that while greatly multi-cultural- not necessarily the biggest soccer town. But then came the home game in TO. The fans went wild all those people sitting at pubs on Saturdays watching English premiership soccer were there to cheer on their home team with great energy and pride.


I hope to take in a game this summer and with the tickets ranging from $15 to $60 it is not that costly, although I must admit I am not a fan of being in the big smoke during the summer. This shouldn’t be a problem though as all the games are sold out until September!
If the games can stay sold out and the crowd turns out with as much energy as they did on Saturday this could be a very promising team that if it goes well could be the catalyst for -Vancouver United or Montreal Revolution, obviously no need on mentioning Ottawa it wouldn’t happen.


For now I will look forward to seeing the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Ottawa this June and July. There are 8 games and I hope to take in at least a few. Especially with the field within walking distance of home.
Forts-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I can't even tell if you're talking about my Leafs, Jays or Raptors...

:)

-Stan

Anonymous said...

Sorry Pal I guess I forgot about the other sports Toronto fails at I guess it has to be

D)all of the above

SBP said...

I definitely want to catch some of the U-20 games when they come to Ottawa, count me in if you go!

Anonymous said...

Let's see, the Leafs're golfing, the Jays are mired in a 6-game losing skid (how can a team with that payroll be out of contention in early MAY?!) and the Raps are out because "no way" José Calderon decided an inbound pass to 4 NJ players was a better move than an open shot for the win with 7 seconds left on the clock.

Yup, that's D) All of the Above.

Hey BP: You mean you won't forget all us little people when you win the big bucks in Vegas?

SBP said...

I won't forget you...someone needs to serve me drinks! Ha!