Not really sure how this happened, but I have become a fan of cider. Maybe it has something to do with me getting older and my taste buds have matured along with me -yeah right. But it is true I was out with a few friends drinking pints on a hot Saturday afternoon when a few of them ordered a strong bow. To which I correctly asked "why are you pansies drinking cider?"They all quickly told me that I had to try a pint of cider in-between ‘regular’ pints on a hot day as it is refreshing, blah blah blah. As the day grew longer and the afternoon became unbearable my mouth grew dry. I was drinking water to maintain hydration as it was going to be a long day, but the water was not appealing.
Finally I decided to see what the fuss was about. So after I finished my pint of Guinness I ordered a Strongbow. I couldn’t believe that they were right, but they were. Extremely refreshing and I was completely rejuvenated.
It is not something I will have often and maybe one if I do as I do find it too sweet, plus they will also catch up on you if you have too many. So I guess I was wrong and those who enjoy cider can go on and do so, not that it mattered what I thought of it anyway, just trying to make myself fell better.
I have always loved trying all different kinds of beers over the years, and have found that my palate truly enjoys a good bitter, stout, and skunky lager. While reading a few new things at ratebeer.com, I came across some fun and interesting things.
For example when I was looking at the 50 top worst beer I came across a beer that can’t be worse then its name Lucky Lager Force 10, way to go Labatt. Another was the list of strongest beers around the world and taking #1 is Hair of the Dog Dave with a mind numbing -literally- 29% alcohol. I would probably not want more then one of those bad boys, but I have to say I am intrigued and would love to try it or some of their regular beers. While looking at the top beers fighting for the best American brew, I was really surprised to see that SA Boston lager was not on the list. It is such a great brew. I must be honest though I have not had the chance to try a lot of the beers on the list of top American brew. I have tried some and must say they are good but I can not say anything for the others.
There are all kinds of fun things at http://www.ratebeer.com/
Maybe this will require some research, I guess the best way would be to try as many as possible at differing establishments in the US, or at least heading over the border and buying as many as possible at a store and coming back to see what the big deal is from the comfort of home. Hoho either way sounds like an outstanding idea to me, anyone interested?
Knowing me this will result in heading to the IGA right after crossing the border and finding maybe 5% of the special brews I am looking for and saying "Forget it buy the few special beers they have and grab that 30 case of MGD cans for $10" why not I haven’t went blind from it yet. But I think there is road trip potential here.
Res Ipsa Loquitur
4 comments:
About your pansy faux-pints: I can't stand the acidic qualities of cider, but I do appreciate the refreshing qualities of a drink to cut the heaviness of an endless stream of pitchers. Freeze used to disappear at the bar for a bit and come back with a tray of Alabama Slammers which looked kinda girly, but really quenched a thirst after the 12th jug of whatever was cheap at the time.
I remember tasting some tall-boy of 12% German beer many years ago, and I found it just tasted like a really oak-y white wine (ie. bad). That 29%er must be just disgusting.
I once had this idea for my 30th birthday to host a variation on a wine tasting party where guests would each bring a sixer of different light beers and we'd do a tasting to find out which brand tasted least like water (because if I wanted water, I'd ask for it...)
What a fitting end to your post: Kerri's sports teams in Law School bore the name "Res Ipsa Liquorstore"
"Res Ipsa Liquorstore" what a great name for a law sports team love it.
I have to agree that 29%er would probably be horrible but still intriguing; they have it listed as a malt wine so your disruption of that 12% German one is probably not too far off. The other beers at the flying dog do sound tempting though.
Great idea about the tasting, I have wanted to do something similar in the past where everyone has to purchase beer of a certain taste, or percentage…Maybe we should make an excuse to have a tasting party/bar room hero night????
I like Cider. I don't like getting sprayed by skunks so why would I enjoy it in liquid form?
Just the smell BP it doesn't taste like a skunk.
Post a Comment