As far back as last summer -I think- there was a picture that I came across of Thompson having drinks at his compound near aspen firing a potato cannon with his friend and fellow writer, Douglas Brinkley. Unfortunately I can’t find the picture any more, but this picture made me think of many things, one how much fun potato cannons are. It also reminded me that no matter how old we get, there are things in our lives that will make us smile, and laugh. And no matter if those things seem immature, or different, or even stupid to others, they make us happy. Plus other people have their own little joys in life that you might look at and say "that is so stupid". But how stupid is it compared to what you think is fun?
For a year now I have thought of that picture, Why? Because Hunter was standing on a back porch of his home, chivas or wild turkey on the railing, cigarette with trademark holder clenched at the corner of his mouth in his teeth with his friend sitting there watching on.
The scene of two men, who had moments of intense, serious conversation who write and teach generations past and to come about politics and the injustices of the world, were enjoying a moment of relaxing gaiety which was only subdued slightly by its back drop of the majestic Colorado Rockies and acres of trees and land.
Hunter’s writing inspired me a great deal over the years -not to drink and do drugs all the time, well maybe the drink part- but to write and find my style of writing. Along with wanting to be active in politics and so on. Another thing was to be yourself and do those things that make you happy as long as they don’t affect others negatively –which is why I am a Libertarian, not sure what it is if you Google it there are definitions of it.
My morning tradition for that past 3, 4, 5 years I really can’t remember, is to get up and before work or school watch CNN and then read articles on line throughout the day. This morning was no different listening to reports on the failing battles in Afghanistan; Landslide kills at least 21 in Nepal; Terrorists threat are we safe?, except that I knew for the next 5 days there will be no news, no updates or articles.
Holy crap Marc get to the point!
Tracy has given me a gift for my 30th birthday that will allow me to enjoy that gaiety I speak of. All I know at this point is that I am going to a cottage not far from Ottawa in Qc. 5 days of relaxing, swimming, eating, and drinking. Beautiful area to sit and enjoy nature and good company. Part of the surprise is that I actually have no idea who will be joining us.
To commemorate getting another year older I tapped into that juvenile zeal that resides inside of me and last night put the finishing touches on my potato cannon. The parts were purchased earlrier by a buddy of mine for my b-day, thanks Spilly.
As of tomorrow on my 30th birthday while the water is tranquil, the trees sway in the wind, the sky above is clear and blue, I will take a sip of gin and tonic or beer –or both- and then fire a small potato several hundred yards away in honor of always felling young and doing those things that make us laugh. I highly recomend Hunter's work amazing writer and it has that power to release your inhibitions -of course he takes some getting use too gonzo isn't for everyone.
Have a great weekend, as for mine well… Res Ipsa Loquitur.
No comments:
Post a Comment