Wednesday, August 1, 2007

A new challenge and hopefully my calling.

I was finally able to see 300 last night and in an attempt to save money, from re-renting the film several times, Tracy told me to just purchase the DVD, so I did. I was not at all disappointed that I did. The narration of Frank Miller’s graphic novel was probably the best part. The images were also created in the likeness of the novel, and were done as well as Sin city.

The story of the Spartans and how they were a civilization built on training for war and politics came across well and in a timely fashion. Depicting the struggle of a boy that is taught as young as 4 and 5 years old on the art of war, as well as how to think intelligently as a warrior. All in preparation to leave home at the age of 7 to begin military training and must remain in her service until 30. It was all very well done.

The scenes of war and the depiction of the Battle of Thermopylae, actually resembled what my minds eye envisioned when I had read about the battles some time ago.

They were an interesting civilization bc women were actually scene as equals and had the same rights as men, were trained in war but were directed toward politics. Something that was not scene in other societies and something that has only been re-discovered only a few decades ago.

From this movie I have been following the progress of the men that trained night and day in an attempt to carry a similar physique to that of a Spartan from 480BC. It was my 300 workout that I challenged my self to reach, and am proud to say, completed. It has also been no secret to those close to me that I have always had a great interest and respect for the military and those in her service. I did a short stint in the Glengarry Highlanders’ military detachment in Cornwall when I was young, and unfortunately because I was young I did not push my self to keep with it.

Although I do not agree with the motives for Mr. bush’s war, I do see the reason behind using military mite to rid the world of dictators bent on genocide and world domination. I also realize that the Middle East conflict will not end without a great effort from NATO. The grouping of many nations is required to assist in the battle and to deliver more and better options in the future to the people of the nations that are in dire straits.

And although I do not completely support the war in Iraq or the war in Afghanistan (they are slightly different cases) I do support the troops 110%.

Since I was young I have always enjoyed reading books on history of warfare, military strategy and weaponry. As I grew up and started to understand my love for health and physical fitness I turned a great deal of my military intrigue to the intellectual art of war as well as to those military personnel who were tough as nails and were always looking for the next challenge that kept their mind sharp and body chiseled from stone.

With all this in mind I couldn’t help but think of myself and where I am in my life and what inspires me. I couldn’t help but think there is something missing. There is a challenge that I am more prepared for now then I would have been in my early twenties. I am probably in about the best physical shape I have ever been. My education from firefighting, to carpentry, and now completing a university degree has left my mind hungry, strong, and quick.

So what should my next major challenge be? What I have decided is enlist in the Canadian military reserves. By winter of 2008 -when my schooling is completely finished- I should be in basic training in the Canadian military and hope to be working and taking courses as a reservist before my 31st birthday. Why reserves, first the experiences and challenges that I will face will make me stronger and more attractive to careers with agencies like DND(National Defence and Canadian Forces). And second the reserves allows me to train in the military possibly make a career out of it (geomatics) and it is my choice -unless there is a world war III then I would be going anyway- it is my choice to do a tour of duty.

So the challenge is set and I hope to take 100 % from the experience and give back no less.

4 comments:

SBP said...

You sound like you want to be challenged, and be pushed to your physical and mental limits. There is nothing wrong with that, but I really think the end result of your specific goal here, of being in a position where you are given a gun and flown thousands of miles away from home so you can kill other human beings, needs serious consideration and thought. Even many soldiers who feel they ARE doing the right thing, like the many Americans who were initially sent to Iraq, return home and regret they had anything to do with the military.

I remember you telling me you have a friend or friends who are in Afghanistan, and after coming back home after their initial tours they are simply not the same people they used to be. Make sure you revisit them before you make any concrete plans, and they can probably guide you better on whether or not you should do it.

Maybe I'm being over-protective here Marc-o, but all of us want to make sure you are making choices like this for the right reasons. Lately, our governments seems to be sending our troops to battle for the wrong ones and I am automatically very skeptical every time we're told we need to fight.

Whatever you decide, we'll support you all the way.

Unknown said...

Thanks BP great words and for the concern. But I didn't make it clear enough that I would join under the geomatics group making maps and working with GIS, GPS and so on.

All that stuff is based in Ottawa and I wouldn't have to do a tour. Believe me I do not want to go have to go to war and want my challenge to be in the training and learning a trade with the military, not actually going in to battle. Thanks for the protection buddy I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

*I* think BP was just concerned about you legally being able to carry a firearm again. :)

Unknown said...

Yeah I am sure the idea of me holding a weapon legally scares some people, but I hope those close to me know that I don’t take those things lightly and wouldn’t run around like a mad man, I do that at home, without a gun of course, I just run around.