Monday, August 20, 2007

What will happen to 'good' music in 2009?

Music. I listen to music for many different reasons but primarily for the same thing, how it makes me feel and the mood that I am seeking. But a large portion of the music I listen to contains a deeper meaning. And no I am not talking about playing Helter Skelter backwards to see if they are actually talking about Satan. I am speaking of bands that stand for something and that use their fame and fortune in an attempt to protest social injustice as opposed to just making large sums of money and striving to be on the cover of ‘Teen’ magazine.


Where will music end up? That is a question that has been bothering me lately. Anyone who knows me knows that I have strong opinions on what is good music and where we are heading musically and politically. But why would I speak of music and politics in the same breath? A-ha, there in lies the problem. Music and politics.

It has been said that music is edgier and for the most part better when there is a republican in office in the US. Why? Most of the time there is so much political disharmony people are generally angry toward the government. Bush obviously did not let us down and if you compare the music from Clinton’s term in office to Bush’s, bush obviously delivered a great deal of inspiration and anger resulting in better music.

One such band that I have been listening to for years has been NIN (Nine Inch Nails for those who may not know). Trent Reznor has often used his writing expertise in a way as too point out social injustice. His latest song, Capital G, from the album, Year Zero, is no different.

The songs opens with;
I pushed a button and elected him to office and
He pushed a button and it dropped a bomb
You pushed a button and could watch it on the television
Those mother fuckers didn't last too long huh huh
I'm sick of hearing 'bout the haves and the have notsHave some personal accountability

Full lyrics
http://www.9inchnails.com/lyrics/capital-g.php
Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgq0_OqYkx4

Trent wrote the song from the point of view of someone who has obviously voted for Bush and has become angry with the state of the world. But has been so put off by it that she/he has lost all faith and doesn’t care anymore about society or future generations. Trent -obviously not a Bush supporter- is attempting to use his recognition and music to transmit a message that although many voted for Bush, many believe nothing can be changed, and that the fate of generations to come is sealed, that this is not the case.

Now I hope that we are able to have a decent representative take office in 2009 -preferably a democrat. But what will this ultimately mean to music? Not sure it is obviously too early to tell. We always have troubles in the world but nothing seems to get the creative juices flowing better then when there is a disagreeable president in office. All in all I would much prefer that a more appropriate president -in all aspects- in office but we will have to wait and see.

Another person doing their part and being censored for it, is System of a down lead singer Serj Tankian. He wrote a great article two days after 9/11, please give it a read it is well worth it. He posted it on his band’s website and Sony immediately pulled it down stating that Serj was justifying the attacks of 9/11 when he merely stated the facts and his opinion. Hmmm not sure but I do believe that is censorship. Way to go Sony you bucnh of Nancy's.

Article here http://donce.awardspace.com/esej.html

Rolling stone has a list of over 200 bands that are against Bush;
http://www.spacechase.net/green/rock_against_bush.htm#secttop

No comments: