Friday, September 7, 2007

Back to reality.

I returned from geography field camp on Tuesday and it has been an interesting transition back. I was never really sure what to expect other then it was a week long that included the last long weekend of the summer. But then again you never know what to expect with these things and I guess that is what makes them interesting -the unknown.

All in all it was interesting work. We were up for breakfast at 730am and attended classes, participated in group activities including physical geography field work as well as human geography environmental assessments. We had an hour for lunch and dinner which consisted of true ‘kid camp’ food i.e. pizza made on hamburger buns, grilled cheese sandwiches and so on, not my normal menu but it wasn’t bad just a little more carbs then I normally slam down.

Most days would conclude around 930pm at which point we would grab our delivered beer and huddle around the fire for several hours and usually turn into bed around 230am give or take. These hours and activities would be the trend for the entire week. It was fun. How could I complain with having class lectures outside, to walking in the bush to do an EIA, and then to spend two days in a canoe taking water and soil samples… and to top it all off have some pints by the fire for several hours.

I was also very lucky to have met a few specific people in the class. We quickly formed a group and would carry the HTFU motto. It held up well as it was used often toward many of those outside our group, and within from time to time. Banter revolving around The Anchorman and FUBAR rained supreme with the mention of a dead organ in someone’s hand -for those that do not know that story I will leave it to you imagination.

Along with all the tomfoolery -I have never used that word before and feel like a dork doing so but it fits so HTFU- there were some more serious and interesting conversations of great minds -Ho ho not to high on myself am I. But all in all it was great to have had the group I did and it seems to have evolved into friendships, can’t complain about that.

But what I can complain or comment on are a few things. First there were those at camp that honestly made me want to tie them to a tree smear peanut butter and honey on their naked bodies and let the insects and animals have there way with them.

Second my daily dose of CNN, newspapers and news sites are still filled with the same old crap. Why is it that I leave for a week and the world doesn't repair it self? Oh right bc humans still live here and as I have said in the past humanity is nearly non-existent and what is still around is slowly hitting the ‘old shitter hole’.
Finally I really want to be back camping. I came back into town and really had a horrible feeling with all the people, buildings, traffic and reality suffocating me. I always said that I would be better off in a cabin and only allow those I wanted to see come and visit me and only come into the city when required. But then again they would probably think that I am sitting there writing letters of hate and self contemplation while reading “100 ways to make Napalm with household items” while sporting my black glasses, hoddie and mustache.

Oh but wait they would be too busy busting women at airports with short skirts and not letting them fly. (Can’t believe CNN wasted a full half hour talking about this story.) Way to go border control do you really think that she was able to hide a bomb under that short of a skirt? Or was it that you really couldn’t be certain so an ‘inspection’ was necessary.

Oh well back to the same old shit I guess. Stay tuned as I have been missing my politics and will be back at it shortly. Plus I have been writing another two part’er on the chaos theory that I read and attempted to study a couple years ago. I also have introduced some of the, 23, phenomenon in with it. It will be interesting similar to my “Is ignorance really bliss” article.

1 comment:

SBP said...

I enjoy your liberal use of HTFU!