Friday, September 21, 2007

Maybe Nihilism isn’t a bad thing.

“I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. I wanted to breathe smoke.” -Narrator

If the quote above doesn’t reveal it, I am in a foul mood this morning. Normally I can just shake things off but for some reason there are a few events that have lead to this morning. The first annoyance was that when I woke up at 530, I was hit with the idea that in only the third week of school I have a ton of homework that I am already drowning in. Apart from this everything else is really just reality and society’s problems. But even though I, as an individual, can’t do much to change these major problems shouldn’t I be concerned with them.

I wrote a blog about society not long ago and how, in so many words, it has gone to hell. Humanity decided to take the later train and told society “Don’t worry these creatures (humans) will know what to do. I need to sit this one out I have been running thin for the past 100 years or so.”

Society sounded the horn as it belted “All aboard” and left humanity at the station with its hat pulled over its eyes, as its head hung low, and with every ounce of energy required to move nerves, muscle, and fat, pitifully raised one arm enough to pump out a wave good bye.

I know I know, you are saying “it isn’t that bleak is it?” No I suppose you are right it isn’t that bleak. There are great things in our lives to enjoy; friends, family, challenges, education, cold fall mornings, travel, speaking to those who can understand you. But this comes to a point of another blog of mine, “Is Ignorance Bliss?” We can remove the blinders from our eyes and stop taking things at face value. Ignorance is too easy.

Common sense, for example, is strangely uncommon. We live in a society where most don’t understand the simple menial task of social etiquette. If you can’t get that one by now then I think you might as well pack it in.

The ironic thing about the quote above is that it was first written by Chuck Palahniuk, who lives his life and writes as a minimalist. He keeps nothing but what he needs to survive in a modest apartment with this partner. I hope he still continues to live this way and after some research I can not seem to find anything to say otherwise. But what makes the quote ironic is that it was said by Norton and Pitt. Two people who have all the money in the world and spend it with out any thought.

This brings us to the never ending bullshit of entertainment and the overpaid individuals that make up this industry. Pro-athletes, actors, singers, performers…these are the people that make way to much money -to say it lightly- and contribute NOTHING to society. Yes I will watch some of the NFL or NHL playoffs but not much more.
Nor will I pay $12, $13…or whatever these days to see a movie. I just don’t see the point. I guess the idea I am trying to say is that as a society we seem to get hung up on the wrong things. I get up every morning and look through all the worlds’ news. After an hour or so of being saturated with it, I realize that those involved don’t care about the new movie coming out or new song by who ever.

For example the two university students that were shot at Delaware State University at 1245am this Friday morning, really don’t care what their possessions are doing at home. Nor do they care what new love interest Brad Pitt has. No I would assume the young man is thanking god he is alive and is praying and hoping that god will have the same mercy for his girlfriend that is in critical condition from two gunshot wounds. Another university in lock down from a shooting.

Do I have all the answers? Hell no! Do I live like a minimalist? Nope. I try to do what I can, I hardly spend money on big things I try to use something until it completely dies before I go and buy a new one. Where I spend my biggest money is something that I rent anyway -alcohol.

I think the point I am trying to make is we need to stop looking for that Easter egg or that intrinsic meaning towards life. Society has decided to sit there like sheep and ignore all the putrid crap in the world and all the fun stuff we can do and experience bc we chose to cover our eyes with objects. Is that girl in the hospital today going to be able to take her possessions with her?

The day that we can remove the idea that we must be separated by money and that money dictates our position in society, then that will be a start something real. Maybe then we will have humanity come back from his long depression.

Who knows the next time I walk into school, work, or the pub there will be a dark lost figure ready to put holes in everyone. Or will the next time you or I walk into our favorite pub look into the darkest corner, you know the one, where a dark figure with a long trench coat slumped over a table, holds his brow with one hand and pours a glass of shivas with the other, and asks himself “How did it get to this?” Will we offer humanity a drink and ask him to come back? Or will we simply go to the opposite side of the bar and watch the game?

"In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway."
Authors who share similar thoughts and that I recommend; Henry Rollins, Hunter s. Thompson, Noam Chomsky, Ernest Hemingway and so many more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Perhaps unrelated) It is a damn shame that today's concern is ensuring you have the latest and greatest cell phone (or any other knickknack), instead of trying to reduce ones footprint by reducing consumption waste.

Anonymous said...

"There are great things in our lives to enjoy; friends, family, challenges, education, cold fall mornings, travel, speaking to those who can understand you." Hmmm social etiquette would dictate that you should have included your wife in that sentence. :)

Unknown said...

Family and friend...are both there = wife

Anonymous said...

Nice save!

Unknown said...

But it wasn't me it was the one armed man!

Anonymous said...

I guess that's why snakes don't have armpits.

Unknown said...

And the exact same reason why rats can't ride bikes