Thursday, October 25, 2007

Living Dead Girl.

Couple things today: I am a little annoyed with the assumption that studying geography means that I will be a teacher. First thing; me a teacher; HA! Wow the kids would break me and I would be sent to a padded room directly from class or there would be kids tied to chairs with their mouths taped shut so I could teach.

Reason I bring this up is that many people figure that I would be a teacher once I am done school. Now I know that many degree’s studied at university receive the same assumption -that it is merely to prepare you for teaching. The problem is, is that geography has evolved a great deal over the years. It is not just the study of place and place through time.

There is a great deal of diversity in geography ranging from Environmental impact assessments, Resource management, global economics and politics, Globalization and its affect on social and environment…the list goes on. I have also taken a great deal of courses that deal with the technology that maps and plans out everything from urban planning…to military operations with remote sensing. Applications used such as GIS, GPS and remote sensing are fast becoming the norm on how things are accomplished from plotting timber stands to medical analysis.

Sorry just had to get that out there. Not assuming that anyone reading this didn’t know it but I do believe that unless you have looked into it or know someone enrolled in GEG then most likely you would not know the level of training and diversity we receive. Just had to stand up for my program, like others do.

On to the fun stuff. One of my favorite times of the year is approaching: Halloween -hence the title (a Rob Zombie song actually). No not bc I can go out and get great deal of candy for free -they don’t let me do that anymore- but because it is the devil’s day and is filled with eerie feelings and dark stories.

Most people around me know that I am interested in the macabre. I love scary, horror, and slaughterhouse movies for the basic human nature of enjoying fear or being startled from what is going to come around the corner. As stated to Tracy last night yes I do cringe when someone in Saw or Hostel gets dismembered or mutilated by a psycho, but I still get that fun grossed out feeling that others as well I just don’t turn away. I guess I just have a stronger stomach then most. Plus the imagination that goes into these movies reminds me of the comic books I read when I was a kid.

Anyway in honor of Saw IV and Hostel II coming out this weekend, just before all hallows eve, I will be writing a few blogs with the undertones of chilling and ghoulish tales. One that I am working on is the inspiration for the ‘blood rejuvenating’ scene in Hostel II. It is based on a Queen who was dubbed the “Bloody Lady of Cachtice”. She is believed to be the first female serial killer. A real weird lady that turned to this past time as a result of boredom and I figure her birth being a result of inbreeding had something to do with it. You can love your family but don’t LOVE your family.

Anyway they won’t go into to great a detail just enough to spin a scary tale for Halloween. I hope there good and enjoyable.


I would never recommend watching Hostel or other such gory movies although some of them have some great story lines (i.e. the first SAW) but I will suggest that if you are sitting home on Halloween grab a huge bowl of popcorn, some candy -they are already 10 or 20% off- and watch one of the many classic scary movies like Dawn of the dead (Original, 1978) probably my favorite one of all time. Getting trapped in a mall having access to the restaurants, liquor store, access to all the differing stores from gaming to TVs and movies and so on would be extremely entertaining, with or without the zombies.

No comments: