This is exactly what I was hoping for and have been for the past couple of years; an early dump of snow and lots of it I might add. This morning’s snow report is putting us a little above 20cm with another 4 to 5 cm making a 36 hour total roughly 25cm. Hope this lasts. With a fresh base as deep as a foot and more the skiing in the next few weeks will be amazing. Unfortunately I will have to wait until my last exam is over next Tuesday before I can enjoy it as we hope to head out at the end of next week.
For now I will have to be satisfied with some snowshoeing early mornings’ this week as my last classes were yesterday with one short review slated for Wednesday morning. It should be deep and a rather beautiful scene up in the hills around Luskville.
Ski Mountains in northern NY, like Stowe and Whiteface, are boasting 12 to 14” ‘bases’ of fresh powder. And as all the snow reports are stating it will continue to snow over the next week or so. With an average of 4cm a day for the next week or so in areas like Stowe or whiteface, there will be a ton of fresh powder. Or even a quick day trip to camp fortune or Tremblant. Tremblant is boasting a METER of fresh snow in the last week.
So to celebrate this fresh snow fall and what is one of the most amazing early starts to a skiing season that we have not seen in decades, I thought that I would post another video. This is a short trailer for a video that was released last year. Their new one was just released for 2007 but this one has a good dig at the beginning towards the Warren Miller (owned by Time Inc.) films and how commercialized they are. I couldn’t agree more so even though these guys are pros in a style of skiing that I do not do and probably would never do, they are still amazing to watch.
What better way to celebrate this snow then to watch Powderwhore. These guys and girls truly prove why they have received the designation of powderwhore. The skiing is Telemark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemark_skiing) and is the preferred method for back country as you can put skins on and crosscounrty ski up the mountain to ski down it again and so on until you are to exhausted to think. The problem with it in eastern Canada and US, we don’t have any really long open runs to do so. You can do it on a ski hill but it isn’t the same or you have to drive the 4 to 5 hours to do mountains like Washington every time you want some decent turns. So unless I move out west -which wouldn’t be half bad at all- I think I will stick to parabolics. Enjoy!
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Storm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment