Friday, February 29, 2008

Hard clan to get in with.

First off yes that is my new Countdown to St. Patrick’s Day clock. Not a big fan of the little leprechaun but I couldn’t find any others so get over it.

Before entering university I had completed the firefighting college program at Algonquin in Ottawa. I spent several years completing city applications, tests and physical exams in cities like Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, Cornwall and so on. The one thing that you learn quickly is that if you know no one in a fire hall -anywhere- you are essentially no one in the eyes of those doing the hiring.

Another thing I learnt is that no matter what they want you to do during the hiring process, DO IT. It means the difference between the guy that said "bullshit I am not doing that" and the guy that is in recruit training.

Finally and most importantly is to never give up applying no matter what they throw at you and no matter how much you feel it is not going to happen. I happen to be at the ideal age (30) where fire recruiters really fell that you are committed, have enough life experience and should be somewhat responsible and mature -somewhat key word there.

So I have started the process in the cities that are hiring and there happens to be not many at this point. But one interesting thing was that the other night I asked Tracy if she would ever move to Boston with me if I were to get a good job there. Her exact response was;

"I will move to Boston with you, only if you become a Boston Firemen."

The chills moved slowly up my spin as those words were music to my ears. Why hadn’t I thought of writing for the Boston FD? Well with a little research and speaking with the recruiters in Boston, I have been made aware that not only can a Canadian apply to firefighting position in the U.S. but that Boston has just started their 2008 hiring process.

So I will be sending my application to the Boston Fire Department and would be extremely proud to wear the patch above one day. It will not be easy and I am sure that as a Canadian it might be even a little harder at times, but to have the chance to try for it is better then nothing. I have the utmost respect for firefighters everywhere and to be one in Boston would be a dream come true two fold.

8 comments:

Fitness Foodie said...

There is no doubt in my mind that I would move to Boston if you were hired on with the Fire Department. Not only is it your life long dream, but Boston itself seems like a rather cool city with lots to offer. But with that said the only thing you can be sure of, is that I will not be jumping on the Bruins ban wagon.

Just remember:

"We all dream a lot - some are lucky, some are not. But if you think it, want it, dream it, then it's real. You are what you feel.”

Wishing you all the luck of the irish in your pursuits.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the exam process does not require you to submit a resume, or application. You need to only be a resident of the state of Massachusetts (proof required)apply for the state exam, pay the registration fee of 125.00 then you will be put on a list with the other passing applicants (after the Survivor benefit applicants, Military Disabled Veterans, Veterans then finally civilians. Then Boston also maintains a residency requirement. Which states you must be a resident 1 year prior to the test date to even be considered. Sorry.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up. I obviously read all of the same guidelines and instructions. I also spoke with the City of Boston’s HR department yesterday and was told the same information.

But I was also told that I still have the opportunity to apply to Boston FD just that I would rank at the bottom of the list of those considered. Hence why I stated that being Canadian puts me at a far disadvantage -among other reasons. Thanks for trying to spare me though.

SBP said...

The worst that can happen is that they say no, so go for it!

SBP said...

Can't resist...10-2 to Washington? C'mon Forts, Ottawa has had some bad games, but that takes the cake!

Unknown said...

True BP let’s just face it my team was on a streak and then Monday night they shit the bed. But I would have to disagree with:
“C'mon Forts, Ottawa has had some bad games, but that takes the cake!”

Was it last year that the Sens were chocking -sorry my fault- ‘fighting’ for the cup, while my Bruins were golfing. And wasn’t it the Sens that were leading the league this year? Not sure, where are your ‘talented’ Sens sitting right now? Hell why don’t I just tell you 5th in the division with 80 points. Hmmm I think that might only be 3 points ahead of my Bruins who have not been considered in contention for quite some time now.

As a Bruins fan in Sensland I am quite happy right now. The Sens are nothing more then a bunch of Nancy-boys and if they could pull their collective head out of their ass they may actually work hard enough to win, oh but that’s right they would have to remove the C from Alfredsson’s jersey as a quitter never wins.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the irish.. its time for it to pay off ... we support you in your dreams hopefully soon realized mom

Unknown said...

Thanks for all those who support me in my passion and dream no matter what.

And maybe anonymous will understand from these comments what it is to have a dream, the proper information to follow it and to have the determination and imagination to go after it.