"I will not aspire to, nor will I accept the position of president of the council of state and commander in chief," Castro wrote. "I wish only to fight as a soldier of ideas. ... Perhaps my voice will be heard."Big words from a weathered and ill Fidel Castro as he relinquishes his reign of power. His early political life began in law school as he lead a rebellion to overcome adversity and reinforce strong political values at the university of Havana.
Several years later he would be incarcerated for attempting to over take power of his beloved country and in his court appearance he wrote and delivered his famous "History will absolve me" speech -it is one of my favorite pieces of literature, check out the link really amazing writing:
"I warn you, I am just beginning! If there is in your hearts a vestige of love for your country, love for humanity, love for justice, listen carefully... I know that the regime will try to suppress the truth by all possible means; I know that there will be a conspiracy to bury me in oblivion. But my voice will not be stifled – it will rise from my breast even when I feel most alone, and my heart will give it all the fire that callous cowards deny it... Condemn me. It does not matter. History will absolve me."
He would later rebel yet again to take and assume power, that inspired generations of revolutionaries and frustrated 10 U.S. presidents. Castro did not believe in the U.S. philosophies and kept communist allies while the U.S. embargo was implemented and it will not be removed any time soon.
Castro was known to be a friend of former Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau, and was an honorary pall bearer at Trudeau's funeral in October 2000. Canadian interests and trades remained strong over the years.
There are speculations that major changes will arise between Cuba and the U.S. with the elderly Castro out and his brother, Raul, in. I personally don’t see much if anything that will happen. If the new president is a Democrat I could possibly see some changes coming in the form of talks and hope to re-open old ties.
If the Republicans are in, the talks may begin but with McCain’s views on war i.e. being Iraq for 100 years, I am sure that it would go one of two ways; nothing would happen and remain as it has with the past 10 presidents, or there could be an attempt for forceful democracy. As Bush stated immediately;
"The international community should work with the Cuban people to begin to build institutions that are necessary for democracy and eventually this transition ought to lead to free and fair elections," Bush said Tuesday in Rwanda. "The United States will help the people of Cuba realize the blessings of liberty." I love that ‘Liberty’ yes is that what you call the U.S. free and containing liberty? HA!
Regardless of what happens I admire the ideals that Castro held when he was younger and the beliefs he held strong and close to his heart in wanting to make the best for his country against the ever powerful U.S. He unfortunately may have created a less then perfect world in Cuba along the way but regardless he was, and is, an inspiration in revolution, political intelligence and strength, along with an undying devotion to his country.
No comments:
Post a Comment