Monday, February 18, 2008

This just in; Family Day, A test in humility.

To all of those who are off today please make sure that you take advantage of a day off and do something fun with friends or family or on your own. Get out be active or whatever don’t waste this day doing nothing. It would be rather blasphemous if you chose to do nothing.

I on the other hand went into work hoping for a good day even though my wife is off along with many others. I figured there was no need to be bitter. It isn’t the fault of those who got the day off but those who implemented a poorly thought out day off that has affected many negatively.

Many employees will be returning to work tomorrow to find out that they will not be getting the long weekend in August or January 1 b/c of this new mandatory day off. Just a quick question would you rather have today off if it meant you lost the 1st of Jan or a long weekend in the middle of summer?

To make this really quick I will state personally why this is so frustrating:
-People are off and I am not.

- At the end of my precarious walk through wet and ice I thought that it would be nice to get a Grande from Starbucks and enjoy a nice tasty coffee and forget about all the crap and just get through my day. So simply walk up to the door watching my step of course and…oops the door seems to be stuck on something??? Maybe it’s the carpet or stuck on the door jamb as with the warmer weather the door expanded??? Oh wait I see the problem its stuck on the dead bolt and won’t open as they have the DAY OFF!

-Good life gyms are closed today so I can’t train on lunch and with the conditions can’t run outside.

-Ok that’s fine I will have to miss a day at the gym so I will go to the flight centre on lunch and speak with our agent about our trip and mayb…"Forts this is your unpleasant reminder from those who hate you, the flight centre is closed as well as most places downtown." Oh ok thanks, I will just sit here at my computer and do nothing.

So I would like to send a thanks to all those involved with testing my humility today including; Mother Nature, coffee shops and other stores downtown, all those who are off and finally, and most importantly, Premier Mcguinty and his Liberals.

You created a poorly thought out holiday for the purpose of gaining votes in the next election. Well Mcguinty at times like these I wish I didn’t vote libertarian as I could say that the Liberals had lost my vote.

But I am not bitter a little angry, but not bitter as these are small inconveniences and really not that big of a deal I suppose. To those who don’t have today off I propose we all meet at the pub after work and have several pints. Actually pretty much everyone I know is off today so I might be there alone I guess.

Oh well that’s fine but if I make it to the pub after work and the door is locked an there is a little sign in the window with the lettering "CLOSED, Have a Happy Family Day, we will be open again tomorrow." No matter where you are in the province you will either hear my head explode or in the very least a loud F word echoing throughout and I can tell you right now it will not be Family.

No comments: