Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The answers you get from literature depend upon the questions you pose. Margaret Atwood

Although I am not a fan of Atwood's, she is a great story teller and I really like this quote simple and to the point -which is ironically why I hate her writing. She too often over explains the smallest thing and while trying to come across as artistic, she seems to be bombarding the reader with words leaving it tiring and verbose.

After the internet’s slow and labored conception, its use has skyrocketed to the level that we see today. The majority of the world uses it on a daily basis be it for research, banking, communications, business or leisure. Millions of search queries are merely a click away.

During a recent search I came across, The Gutenberg project. First off it has nothing to do with the terrible actor of similar name. Nope it is an online database that contains over 3 million ebooks available to search through read and download. There tons of authors to choose from that, the site itself boasts, have been provided by tens of thousands of volunteers.

The only reason believe this great number of volunteers is based directly on the actual costs for downloading this material. It is a whopping zero dollars and zero cents a day. Making it zilch per month and your yearly fees at absolutely nothing. Ok sorry I just felt compelled to over explain and emphasize that all this literature is available to all for absolutely nothing. Although it is not mandatory, donations to keep the site running are accepted. I am personally to cheap to put my money out to a website, so I will take advantage of the freeness and hope that it never crashes. And when it does it will be ok as I still order books from sites like Amazon and still only pay about 40 to 50 percent of what Chapters would charge me.

There are probably similar sites available but I happen to come across this one first and thought that it was worth mentioning. I found it when I was looking for some stories from a true word master and man who was dubbed "the father of American Literature". Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) created some of the most amazing writing of all time. When one needs inspiration or the exposure to a plethora of descriptive and properly placed words that are eloquently weaved together in a fine tale, look no further then Twain’s work.

When I needed some aforementioned inspiration I decided to look for something that specifically related to the subject I am presently working on in my writing and came across a piece that was perfect; The Facts Concerning The Recent Carnival Of Crime In Connecticut.
If you haven’t read it before I highly recommend it. It is a short read that provides the reader a great deal of insight and understanding into Twain’s humor, intelligence, vocabulary and ability to tell a story while explaining life itself. Here is the link;

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3183/3183.txt and from here you can head to the main page to access all the great free books. Enjoy.

Oh and for those of you that may have chosen to take an adventurous leap and looked at Guts by Chuck Palahniuk, please feel free to tell me what you thought of it even if you didn’t finish it.

No comments: