Thursday, March 13, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

Some people never quite understand why the majority of my favorite movies are cult films. I personally find the reasoning, for this preference, a rather simple concept. The crap that is created by mainstream Hollywood is just not worth my time. It just seems insulting when writers are so low on ideas that recreating old films into new ones is a genre itself. Hey why bother being creative and producing your own ideas when there are so many old movies that you can rewrite.

Not saying they completely fail all the time. There are the classic films and new ones like, No Country for Old Men (which was probably the first time I was in a cinema in two years) was a good move but still not great. This past week I watched Michael Clayton. Again good movie but not great. It was decent but nothing unique or overly exciting about it -and I don’t mean exciting as it had to be action pact or laugh out loud funny, I know it was a drama, exciting as in an overwhelming story line or something unique. The acting and so on was good but there are tons of similar stories like it.

But last night we watched -for the second time in only a few days- Death Proof Tarantino. Quentin Tarantino creates dynamic characters, intriguing storylines, that are filled with sharp dialogue. These exciting and entertaining films truly bring out the best in the actors he chooses. The actors seem to be so deeply into the script and direction from Tarantino that their performances come across as if they are not even acting.

His infatuation with pop culture is plastered everywhere you look in his films. His use of strong women and empowering their characters is homage to older B movies and has a unique quality that makes the films extremely fascinating. Finally his musical knowledge coupled with the ability to apply the precise song to a specific scene ties the entire package with a tight little bow.

In Death Proof there are a group of women dubbed "The Girls", one of which was nicknamed Butterfly by her friend, Jungle Julia, on her radio station stating that if a man comes up to her buys her a drink, calls her Butterfly and says;
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."
If they did so they would get a lap dance from Butterfly.

All that for me to say that the dialogue was alterd slightly but taken from a literary genius Robert Frost. Frost being one of Tracy’s favorite authors she could recite the poem from memory and has not read it since high school. So with a three day ski trip this weekend and all that awesome snow here is the poem enjoy;

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.His house is in the village though;He will not see me stopping hereTo watch his woods fill up with snow.My little horse must think it queerTo stop without a farmhouse nearBetween the woods and frozen lakeThe darkest evening of the year.He gives his harness bells a shakeTo ask if there is some mistake.The only other sound's the sweepOf easy wind and downy flake.The woods are lovely, dark and deep.But I have promises to keep,And miles to go before I sleep,And miles to go before I sleep.

1 comment:

SBP said...

I still haven't watched Grindhouse yet, I gotta get on that!