GPS units are great toys but not essential, so in the same breath it is hard for me to justify why I want a handheld GPS unit. My map and compass skills are great and there is no need. So why do I want one? B/c they are hand for plotting routes before or after a hike to make the next time you return easier to stay on track especially if you chose to venture off the main trail. They are helpful in possibly saving a great deal of confusion when attempting to locate where you are when you need to the most. And with the computer applications they are fun to calculate your exact distances, elevation gained and lost and so on.Since I have already written about this story I will make it quick; A couple years ago, Tracy and I were hiking in the Adirondacks in the month of May. Started out, weather sun and blue skies. After summiting two peaks we sat for lunch. The clouds moved in winter storm hit. We decided to double time it to our next and final summit. It was an unmarked trail to the summit so I took a quick reading with my compass as we left the marked trail.
We were walking as it poured rain that soon became snow the closer we got to the peak. After summiting Tracy was showing signs of hypothermia and felt my condition begin to slide. While being stressed from the thought of our physical conditions getting worse, being fatigued, exhaustion and severe cold I could not figure out where the path was through all the thick trees and looking at the compass I could not seem to make out which way I was going on the map.
Everything was fine in the end as I relaxed myself and figured it out. But the major bonus with a GPS unit is that it can remove a great degree of confusion with a press of the button -as long as your batteries don’t crap out. If you take a way point from your start with a GPS you merely have to press that ‘home’ option and follow the little arrow back to the beginning.
When looking for something ideal for the avid hiker, who might not be guiding or out everyday, you don’t want to look at anything below $300 as you will be sacrificing a great deal of options for little savings. Anything $400 and up is usually too much for the average hiker or skier as most options would probably never be used - more options means a bigger unit = more weight.
The first name that comes to mind when I think GPS is Garmin. They are the leaders in the field and have created some great products that stand up to rigorous conditions. But to be honest the units I have used in the past -although did their job well- have been not as user friendly as one would imagine. The buttons have been hard to scroll with and search through certain menus.
One of their latest models Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx seems to come in as the all-around user friendly while aggressive GPS unit. It has a sleek design with a slightly bigger antenna for better reception. It only weighs in at 330grams making it easy to handle in packs, cargo pockets or around your neck -if necessary.
For beginners the multiple menus and features might be a little confusing at first but once figured out they will become simple to look through and essential for navigation. It is a great all-around tool that priced at $319CDN the bank will not break.
Its main features and computer interfacing are perfect for avid hikers, back country skiers or what ever your backcountry passions may entail. Main Specs:
Waypoint Icons, Compass, Built-In Barometer, Calendar, Built-In Altimeter. Ability to customize by adding other points of interest. Up to 1000 waypoints. Up to 50 routes. Track log capable of 10,000 points and 20 saved tracks. Added removable micro SD card. IPX7 waterproof case. Requires AA batteries as opposed to Lithium which is a bonus.
Although there isn’t one of these in my immediate future but when ready for the 2009 ski/snowshoe season I hope to pack one of these on many backcountry trips.


No comments:
Post a Comment