Friday, April 11, 2008

Hike For the Cure, Update

As I stated in a previous blog, that from 2008 on, the Hike for the cure would now be renamed; The Marjolaine Perras Hike for the Cure. Although that has not changed I have been struggling with something and have realized that it is the best decision for this year. So with out waiting anymore I am very upset to state that the donation drive and hike will be postponed to 2009.

You can not imagine how disappointed I am in this decision but due to many, many things that have come up in the last few months it is just not feasible. To truly put the effort into soliciting donations, working with the Canadian Cancer society on media and other things, along with planning the route and doing the hike itself could not be done this year.

I will continue to make my donation this year and encourage anyone who is interested in doing the same and I can take donations from people. What I might do is try and collect some donations stating that Tracy and I will be hiking the Alps for 7 to 8 days in September and the donations that I will try to collect will be put on a sheet under the hike for the cure name. Same thing applies donations of $20 or more get a receipt but all donations no matter the amount are always welcome.

I am also working on a tribute page on the Canadian Cancer Society website. This will be a tribute site for the hike to explain more about it and a way of honoring all those touched by cancer. It will also allow for donations to be made from those who may be further distances away but would still like to help out.

In continuing with our fight against cancer we constantly look for ways of maintaining our health. Tracy is always making great meals that keep us extremely healthy. She has entered a recipe to "Cooking to Combat Cancer #2". Here recipe, Mexican Black Bean Salad, is posted and was the recipe she finally decided to go with-not that she was going through a hundred recipes over and over again for the last few days, no she wouldn’t do that.

So to all those who are interested in donating please contact me anytime. One thing that I had said was that I was challenging everyone to get out to the 2008 hike and do a distance that was comfortable for you. This will not change. Just b/c I am not having the event this year does not mean that you are off the hook. Get out there, be active, be healthy, enjoy life, explore and do something that scares you. -This is meant to be encouragement please don’t take it as preaching.

We only get one life to live and at the end of it when we are at our last moments on this earth we only regret the things we didn’t do. So I say this b/c I care and want others to be healthy and happy; Keep up with your daily activities, hobbies, physical activity and what not, but always remember to just GET YOUR ASS MOVING.

No comments: