Although there are not many bands I would pay to see at this year’s Blues Fest -Tragically Hip are fun but seen them over 10 times including their latest album tour, Fergie no way, Brian Wilson although a great bassist probably not that exiting. Sam Roberts on the other hand would be a decent show to see.But then I came across a name that is not been overly publicized and probably b/c they’re music is not easy to explain and are a band that really isn’t the norm for your average Blues Fest fan. But just the same the band Primus will be metal/funking up the stage this summer.
They are one of the oddest bands musically (I have a ton of bands with extremely odd people in them; see: mortician) that I have ever purchased albums from. Their music is considered metal-funk, or thrash funk, even alternative metal and so on. Primus’ front man, Les Claypool, has even stated that the description that best fits would be "psychedelic polka."
Primus was a great addition to a grunge and metal music collection in the early nineties. The single "My Name is Mud" from the album Pork Soda, was what got me hooked. Although you might not consider them anywhere near a must have or classic they are intriguing in their own right. Their live shows and characters, while odd, are extremely entertaining.
The song; Winona's Big Brown Beaver, from the album ‘Tales from the Punchbowl’ was one of my favourites for two reasons. First off at 16 or 17 I thought the silly story about Winona’s ‘beaver’ was hilarious. But more importantly I just liked the guitar, vocals and drum progression in the song.
Now listening to it years later I see the talent guitarist Larry LaLonde truly has. The song begins with a heavy portion of guitar picking with distortion which then transitions into a bluegrass/country, banjo style finger picking, which has been stated to be the style that Jerry Garcia made famous. Drummer Tim Alexander has a sound greatly influenced by greats like John Bonham, and other styles like Juju music or African rhythms. And to finish it all off the melodically inspiring dead pan (best wording I can think of at the moment) vocals that Claypool lays on top.
Les Claypool's lyrics although mainly odd and silly also contain some political influenced rants including of course those against president Bush. He is also an extremely talented bassist. Many bassists are good but often merely pluck along filling in the sound where required. Where as people like Claypool fall in with those unique and imaginative bassists like Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) or Geddy Lee (Rush).
So baring some unforeseen reason I hope to see the psychedelic polka freaks this summer when they take to the local stage.
3 comments:
Heh. Plan-B used to listen to Primus all the time. Pork Soda's a great album!
Definitely a great album for an aspiring bassist as Plan-B was…he does play bass doesn’t he?
Yup. He was all over that $h!t!
Post a Comment