Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Seeking The Perfect Gym.

The constant rain is bothering me a little lately. Tomorrow might mark the first round of golf if the rain holds out as they are calling for late day and evening showers. With a mid-morning tee-time we should be able to get in an 18 before the rain falls.

The major reason is that we will be golfing with Tracy's parents which is always a good time, but second that I bought some new golf shoes last night and hope to break them in.

Still getting back into the crossfit groove and although I still have to go to the gym at one of the busier times, so far it seems to be working out a little better then I expected. I tend to grab the equipment I need, when I can, and bring it to one area and try to be done in a timely fashion to not rush but that I am not a gym hog.

This got me thinking of seeking out crossfit, MMA (mixed martial arts) and other styles of gyms in Ottawa. The choices in Ottawa are rather slim actually to be more accurate there are none. There are trainers that will rent out large gyms for one on one or classes. Or go to gyms with power lifting equipment like the OAC, where Tracy worked as a personal trainer and supervisor. But I am not looking for a trainer and unless you work or are related to someone who works at the OAC, or are wealth for that matter, the membership is way to costly.

So what we are left with is Good life, Florida fitness, or non-franchise gyms that have literally nothing in them but antique equipment. I would prefer an actual crossfit style gym that I could do my own workout while in the company of others with the same mindset and similar goals. The picture above; a New York 'sports' gym from 1927.

This gives you an idea of how training for many people is going back to its roots with crossfit. And as it gets more popular there will be more gyms popping up and thus they too will suffer overcrowding. But then again crossfit is not a 'normal' workout.

So what is the final option; membership at a good gym (good life is good), go to the climbing gym regularly, and a home gym. But I don’t have room for a home gym as I have been living in an apartment for years dreaming about creating a great home gym for Tracy and I. But this will all change as there is only 1 month and 10 days to go till we move in -is that countdown correct Tray.

I already have some equipment at my parents place including a 75lbs heavy bag that my dad taught and trained me on for years. The bag is great for sparing -obviously- but also things like victim drag, fireman's carry and the like. There would also be room in the garage for gymnast rings for all the fun and painful dips and muscle ups to entertain ourselves with. Finally throw in a few kettle bells, medicine balls, imagination, hard work and sweat and there you have it a crossfit home gym. Can’t wait.

WOD - Legs/Shoulders
Squats 10-8-8DS8 SS DB military press 10-8-8DS8
Deadlifts 10-8-8 SS Machine Lateral Raises 10-8-8
Leg press DS 10-8-6, DB Deadlifts 10-8-8
As many rounds in 10mins
20(10/side) DB Snatches
10 24" Box Jumps
10 Pull-ups
5Rounds *waited longer then required too catch my breath on the first two rounds. Once I realized I didn't need as much time it was a little late and think that I could have done more maybe 7 or 8, as at the end I did a half round just before the 10 minute beep. Regardless it was a good session and legs were burnt following it.
Tomorrow REST!

6 comments:

Katie said...

Forts, I hope you can find a gym that works for you soon. I'm sure that not having an affiliate around can be uber frustrating. Just a question, why the leg workout then the WOD? To me it would seem easier to throw that into the circuit and then you save yourself some time. Just a thought... or pick on thing and work up heavy on it, then jump into the circuit... maybe that's just me though...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip Katie and your right. There are two reasons why I chose to do it this way for now1) coming back from running a 10k race so before it I was not training heavy on legs and want to be sure everything(muscles) is balanced before I go completely that way and

2) so far the extra training slightly fits into the hour I have on lunch. But agreed and I will be tailoring this for the next week or so to get exactly the way I want it. Thanks.

Katie said...

Forts, please don't change things just on my say so. If it works for you, than stick with it. I was just thinking it seemed a little bit like overkill.... that's a LOT of legs. Don't forget that you don't have to work your leg skills to work your legs. Doing hang squats or front squats in a circuit will help you build up strength. Doing 7 hang squat cleans with 95 lbs in a circuit doesn't sound like it would, but when you go amrap in 20 minutes and hit 7 rounds, that's 49 squats. It's really your preference though, so do what works for you. Our trend lately has been to warm-up on a skill. Sometimes we shoot for a 3 or 5 rep max, but we work a lot on form in the first 15 minutes. Then whatever circuit we hit, has that skill in it, so you're def still building up your strength. So, maybe my way of thinking also has to do with our specific programming too...

Unknown said...

No worries I appreciate the tips and suggestions as that is what I hope to get from my fellow crossfiters’. I basically am trying to incorporate some classic movements with circuits as I slowly lower the amount of the ‘classic movements’.

Katie said...

Forts, there's no need to get lower those classic movements at all. Just find a way to incorporate them into a circuit. Like my example of the hang cleans, if you did them in a circuit, you'd actually be doing squats. If you did something that was AMRAP in 20 minutes, depending on your number of reps in the circuit, you may actually log more reps of squats than you would lifting the traditional way with your 3 sets of 10 or whatever. Some would actually argue Forts that higher reps, and lower weights, are much better in the long run because you build muscle and endurance at the same time. Classic argument in my book, but I say no need to rid yourself of the classics. Squats, deadlifts, push presses, cleans... all are staples in the CrossFit diet. Just find a way to incorporate them into the circuits so you are not overdoing it. Trust me, CrossFit circuits will be enough for you. :)

Fitness Foodie said...

Yes it will be pretty sweet to have room for some gym equipment. I loved the OAC days with all their unique equipment and space - not to mention the free membership. I miss that lower back/hamstring hyperextension machine the most.

And as for the countdown - 1 month and 8 days to go as of today :)