Pulled pork, ribs and chicken are addicting at events like these b/c they are marinated in sauce then covered in sauce and then drenched with more sauce. The sauce is filled with butter and sugar resulting in many calories. Not saying these guys and gals can’t cook. They are some of the best smokers and griller's around. Just the comparison, to me, is night and day.
See chicken and pork or both great sources of protein. Chicken being the leaner healthier of the two but pork has received a bad rap that is unjustified. If you choose lean cuts of pork, and eat in moderation, it can be a great source of healthy protein. Of course pork ribs are not the ideal cut if they are done properly and a proper portion is consumed, not the hungry man special, then you can have a relatively low-calorie meal.
But the best option -to me- is what we do as you get the best of both worlds. Marinate chicken, ribs or beef in usually a homemade sauce (my father has a new bourbon sauce recipe that is awesome) with a sparing amount. The idea is just enough to infuse flavour -not overpower- and tenderize. Then if it is a smoker pick the wood chip flavour that will do just right, start the fire close the lid and let them cook. Roughly 8 hours and a few beers later, you have smoked to perfection meat that tastes like meat. The added bonus there isn’t a ton of unhealthy sauce dripping down your arm and face.
That being said chicken and ribs at these events are a great treat to try once and a while in moderation. Just stay away from the 'Hoggers' special that included three different forms of saucy pig. I contemplated sharing half a rack with my wife just to try them but for the price health wise and they are not cheap either ($13 for half). We decided to have a coffee, veggie wrap and Bridgehead's Tuna sandwich, that is a must try, and sat by the canal. Much healthier with lots of flavour and it just seemed to be what I was in the mood for at the time.
Friday was a complete day of rest with the plan to golf. Although they forecasted for rain in many areas I was confident that the course -St. Lawrence University- we were going to that it would be fine. And it turned out that I was right. We had a couple scares with some cloud and drizzle, but for the most part it was sunny.
For our first round of the season, and not even having a chance to hit some balls at the range, we both did rather well on a course we had never played. And the shoes worked out extremely well. Really comfortable and gave me the traction I was missing with my old ones.
Due to the long day of golf Friday, several beverages Friday night and finally travel and errands on Saturday, it too became a rest day. I hate taking two days off in a row but with a few possible overuse injuries it was probably for the best. Except that with the bug to golf we decided to walk a 9 hole round yesterday afternoon.
The weather was perfect and the golf was extremely better then just the day before. Our drives were long and straight and short game was coming together nicely. Plus we had the added bonus of walking the entire course for some exercise. Add to the the previously mentioned fact that I did not indulge in the ribs it allowed us to enjoy our vice with a few refreshing beers after the round and while we BBQ in the sun.
This morning it is back to the gym and I am happy to be back. I will post my workout later. It also had another tee-time this afternoon with a few buddies but with the on and off hard rain we are having this morning I assume that will be a rain cheque for this week. But with 27 holes down in the first weekend of golf I can not complain.
2 comments:
Being a farm girl, barbecued chicken is a weakness of mine. Nothing like chicken and a baked potatoe with a little sweet corn from the garden... *picture Homer Simpson drooling at this point*... but I agree... the sauces are HEAVY on sugar. My restaurant that I work in uses a sugar based barbecue sauce on their ribs. Not that I'm trying to give away the secret or anything to their sauce, which is heavenly, but it does contain over 5 lbs of brown sugar alone. Now, granted our batches are made large for the restaurant, but still, break it down and you're getting spoonfuls of sugar per tablespoon. Homemade sauces are the way to go, and you can tell your dad that if he has any leftover sauce he can send it my way... ;)
Sounds delicious and it smelt pretty damn amazing, but I agree that I would take a healthier Fortier Boys smoker any day.
Nice golf pic! Mine on the other hand, yikes! Might be why I can't break 100?
Post a Comment