Don’t you love learning? I know I do. Finding out something that you never knew before can be rewarding. But there are also those lessons that you should have known and when they are reintroduced in a humiliating and somewhat painful matter it leaves you embarrassed and frustrated.Ok so this pertains to training. I have been training for over 15 years now and know that even the simplest lesson can not be ignored. One lesson to never forget is getting proper rest. When your body says rest, you rest. But the point is I was not ignoring it and had thought I took care of it. But the rest I had was not good enough.
Friday night I was exhausted from an extremely busy and difficult work week, add to that preparing for the move into our new house, which is this Wednesday, and moreover I was training like a mad man with crossfit, hikes, running and regular weights. Friday night we had our second last hike of the week and after had a few drinks. Although it was not a late night, with the long week and a few drinks I was beat and did not get the hydration I required.
So Saturday morning came and I couldn’t help but feel a little groggy. So after some breakfast I made my way to the gym and proceeded to warm-up. Oh did I mention this was the morning I was to attempt, The Lion of Fallujah? This little beauty was what the training gods decided to use as a lesson in humility. The workout looks like this;
Repeat for 4 rounds (or as many rounds as you have time for)
25X Jumping pullups
25X Walking lunges (each leg)
25X Knees to elbows
25X Thrusters(15 lbs)*forgot my book and used 45 BB didn’t help
25X Push press (15 lbs) *same as above.
25X Kettlebell swings (35 lbs)
25X Burpees
This on a normal day would have been difficult but this day I was still really tired. By the time I got to the KB swings in the FIRST round there were so many expletives being thrown around you would have thought an entire platoon was in the gym struggling through a training session. When I got to the burpees I was so mad at myself for not getting the proper rest that I abandoned the workout and decided to do only two rounds but at a very slow pace to get accustomed to it.
Once it was over I decided that in one week, after some restl and we are moved in, I will revisit the Lion, complete it in an honorable time that will do it justice.
We had one hike left on that Saturday and I contemplated not going because of the outcome with the ‘Lion’. It was to be roughly a two hour hike in easy to moderate terrain. All went well until I bonked near the peak. Again refueled for the rest of the way back and drank a ton of water and was able to pull out a great hike to add to the training. Needless to say Sunday was a complete rest day, other then taking things apart and packing all day in the apartment. Today more of the same no weights and possibly a light hike or run after work we will see.
With the move being this Wednesday I will probably not be posting much until some time later next week. Take care all and will be back soon.
1 comment:
Forts, I tend to have a lot of trouble with rest too. (Not that you hadn't guessed that already... :P ) It's hard to stop working out when you really enjoy it. But like you said, proper rest is just as important as proper form on your oly lifts. Without proper rest, you could seriously injure yourself. So, as much as you don't want to, REST! :) (says me... do as I say, not as I do... )
Post a Comment