Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Death Magnet

Can’t believe that I am actually caught up on all my work at work and now can ease into the rest of the day and wait that early departure to get my moving truck. So as a small reward while continuing on with piles of stats I decided to do some music searching and to see what new music might be released in the near future. With everything going on I have not had a time to do this whatsoever.

First thing I wanted to mention is the soon to be released new album from Metallica. Ok not everyone is a heavy metal fan but Metallica is in essence what the genre is all about. The album, Death Magnet, will follow the disappointing album, St. Anger.

I have heard some samples on their website, and they are hard to find elsewhere not doubt due to Lars’ complete and utter control and hatred toward scoring even a 10 second riff of his songs. Anyway from what I have heard, if it is all as good, will not only surprise and quench the thirst of those true heavy metal fans, but will bring in a new fan base. The fact that they have actually picked up the past and made their newest tracks faster and are continuing to do so in concert is rather impressive. The talent and imagination is still there. Hope the entire album is similar.

There was Page and Plant and now we are fortunate enough to have White and Benson. Ok yes I said it and yes the comparison has been made by many rock critics and journalists alike and I said it in the early going when the White Stripes were just starting. There was a definite Zep influence in Jack’s style but the greatest thing is that White’s creative and unique sound, especially now with The Raconteurs, was created, it was in a league of its own and not far from genius if you ask me.

But what would this story have without me looking into the negatives? When a musician is not doing a cover but merely incorporating riffs into their song it can be extremely dangerous and considered cheating or stealing. This is either done out in the open and obvious to complete their song and maybe pay tribute to the original. Or it can be done subtly by hiding it in a section of the song where it acts as filler.

Unfortunately there are many times that the later is done making it seem like they are just trying to get away with something. When this happens as a fan you tend to feel let down especially when it is a band that you really like for their new and innovative sound, lyrics and so on.

The other day I was listening to a song - can’t believe I can not think of it that pisses me off - from the Raconteurs. At the moment I am listening to every song to try and find it before I post this blog, see if I can get it. During the chorus I noticed a familiar riff from an older song. Jack white seems to have recycled a riff from someone’s song and used it with other layers on top so it is hard to pick out but after I heard it the first time I could pick it out each time.

Now the question stands is this a big deal? Well for music fan like me, it is. I have been quoted in the past and I say it again; I have a love hate relationship with music. I love creative and innovative musicians from Jazz, Classic rock, heavy metal, Punk, Johnny Cash (yes he is his own genre so back off) rock and so on. I hate pop, dance, disco, rap, boy/girl bands (pretty much the same thing), and synthetic music and so on.

So I know enough about music -or at least I tend to believe I do- to not ignore the fact that a bands influences will affect their sound and sometimes to the point where their playing style might be slightly similar, but openly using someone else’s riff is lazy and stealing someone else’s hard work. Many bands do it I know but I am never happy when I hear it. Just something I would not have expected from White as his artistic integrity seemed to run farther deep then that.

Oh well I can’t even think of the song so maybe it wasn’t that bad. But when I do come across it I will be sure to post it ASAP. As for now I think there an amazingly talented band that I hope to see live in the near future.

Best be moving on now. Pictures from the new house will be up at the end of the weekend I hope.

No comments: