
Although I am not a firefighter yet, hoping it is soon, it still hits home when I hear of a tragedy like the one that took place in North York this morning. Early this morning, after a propane blast set the Sunrise Propane Depot a blaze, veteran firefighter Bob Leek’s lifeless body was found by a fellow firefighter. He was said to have died of a heart attack.
Leek was a 25 year veteran of the force and was a district chief. He was said to be an intelligent fireman with a decorated career, a mentor to recruits and a friend of many.
In honour of District Chief Bob Leek, I have posted the firefighter’s prayer. R.I.P.
When I'm called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, give me strength to save a life whatever be its age;
Help me to embrace a little child before it is too late, or save an older person from the horror of that fate;
Enable me to be alert to hear the weakest shout, and quickly and efficiently to put the fire out;
I want to fill my calling and to give the best in me, to guard my neighbour and protect his property;
And if according to your will I have to lose my life, bless with your protecting hand my family, and guide them to your light.
2 comments:
Its more than a job obviously, it's hard really to know what to say here, other than...thank you to firefighters.
I live in Northern California and we have yet to have a day without hearing about fires or seeing the results of them. Thank you for deciding to make a sacrifice to help save homes and lives. You ARE appreciated! Blessings!
Post a Comment