Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Music Minute

Can’t say that I am overly surprised but it seems that Wolfmother has possibly relinquished their last howl. Yes the band is disbanding, or at least a few of them are. It seems that during a recent concert fans of the band noticed some weird tension on stage and arguing during the performance.

Immediately after the performance Myles Heskett and Chris Ross stated that they were leaving the band. The official statement revealed that the band members have inconsolable differences i.e. they don’t get along and hate each other.

With the two of them gone unless Andrew Stockdale is good at performing as a one man band, I think he is pretty much done for the time being at least. The reason why I wasn’t overly surprised was simply the fact that their self titled debut album was truly remarkable.

It was a unique sound with influences from the greats of the 70’s and every member of the band performed in what seemed to be flawless unforced harmony. When this hits that hard you have to wonder if a band has the ability to create better or the same in the future.

Even the truly talented bands will have hits and misses; refer to, The Stones and ‘Dirty Work’, oh and ask Neil young what he was thinking when he produced ‘Everybody’s Rocking’. This means that you always have to be weary of a band letting you down with a limited amount of artistic ability and inevitably becoming a one hit wonder, one album wonder in Wolfmother’s case I suppose.

I suppose this is why I ask a great deal from the bands that I love. I want them to perform at the top level of their ability and creativity every single time. You create amazing work for several years but if there is a point where albums are not coming out like they were or coming out just as quick but filled with utter garbage then there is no shame in calling it a day and walking away from the art.

Just adding to this if you can only put out one album of good material and proceed to never produce anything again or the rest of what you attempt to release is crap, I start to wonder if I should even listen to the original (talented) album that I once thought was worthy.

Example Bush, or Bushx as the were known until the Canadian band, Bush, signed to allow them to use the name, produced a decent first album that was well received in the 90’s during the grunge phase. When we waited in anticipation for their second what did we get? Actual a not that band album but not great as it was merely a watered down version of their first album with some synthetics thrown in.

Then came the most insulting thing a fan can receive from a band. Something that screamed; WE HAVE NO TALENT WHATSOEVER BUT WE WANT YOUR MONEY JUST THE SAME! This was of course Deconstructed and Bush thought the idea of taking their greatest hits from their DEBUT album and re-mastered them. You can not do that unless you have pumped out at least half a dozen amazing albums and do a greatest hits.

At least the way I see it, and I have never listened to their first album ever again The End. Fuck can’t believe I just wasted that much time talking about a crappy untalented tit like Gavin Rossdale
. Back to the music tomorrow, an update on my Fran benchmark time and here is the WOD I made up today after a arm warm-up. I really liked it and will be playing with it some more over time.
5 rounds for time; 25:44
20 Pull-ups
20 Abmat sit-ups
15 Deadlifts 65lbs
15 DB swings 35lbs
10 24" box jumps
10 KTE

6 comments:

Diarist said...

I saw Metallica doing a cover of 'whiskey in the jar' today...why?

Wolfmother seemed almost like a parody band to me, much like 'The Darkness'. No doubt they had talent but it was almost ironic rock, a pantomime performance.

A great band will come again..maybe

Unknown said...

Yeah semi-agree but the Darkness was completely pathetic, especially that high pitched school boy bitch screaming the lead singer called signing.

Anonymous said...

Gotta agree with Forts, that's a hard parallel to draw. But they could have easily played in the same space for the casual listener. I'd classify Wolfmother as more Homage Rock than Ironic Rock. They weren't shy to say they were trying to recreate the seventies dirty kind of rock music, before the hair bands emerged. They were certainly derivative, but I felt they were pretty genuine and can't say that that's such a bad thing compared to some of the junk that's out there today.

Speaking of the absence of great bands, one band that I regard as great: Radiohead has done a song for the final credits of Choke, and then liked the movie so much, offered to do the film's score as well!

Unknown said...

Tell you the truth I was really sceptical the first time I heard Radiohead’s new album, In Rainbows, but have to say since I have purchased it -yes actually at a store I only by those I believe are worthy and download singles that are slightly worthy- I play it from start to finish at least 3 or 4 times a week and was one of the first albums I put on my new Ipod.

Now you tell me about the connection with Radiohead and Choke, very excited now. I actually saw some movie stills for Choke by accident and although I was upset I could see that they nailed the images that I had created while reading the book.

Katie said...

I will leave the music chatter to you gentleman, but will say this about the WOD... I can't believe you put Abmats and KTE in the same workout... you are crazy brother!

Unknown said...

Katie for some reason I truly enjoy suffering, I guess that is why I do the sports that I do. I have introduced crossfit to a buddy of mine and he is quickly becoming a believer. When we did this together he kept telling me how much he hated my when he got to the KTEs.