Monday, November 10, 2008

Continuous Testing a Short Update.

It seems that we are constantly being tested in varying ways. For some its staying away from fatty, fried and or starchy ‘feel good’ foods that only make you feel good for a short period of time and end up making you feel worse a short time after you consume them thus making you crave more of the aforementioned ‘feel good’ foods resulting in a vicious unhealthy cycle.

For some its alcohol or tobacco they crave and for others, bingeing on snack foods. Or many times it is simply white sugar. I have to say that my will power is often tested. My most obvious indulgence that I maintain to only a couple times a week, and in moderation, is alcohol, sorry more specifically; beer. The other has only been here for a short while and had something to do with Halloween mini chocolate bars; sugar!

I am not a dessert person but if there are chocolate bars in the house it can result in an almost daily unconscious motion to have two or three mini chocolate bars. With the amount of activity I complete each day this doesn’t worry me greatly but getting into the habit and continuing that line of thinking could be detrimental to my training and health. Sugar is definitely something that should be avoided for health risks, lowering immune system making us susceptible to viruses and, of course, weight gain.

I seem to be getting the sugar under control and have maintained to moderate beers on the weekend. But the latest has been the lower immune system in fighting colds. Normally this isn’t an issue with me but with higher training levels in preparation for my exams and with greater contact with family and friends I have been wearing myself thin with travel and late nights visiting.

So with the colds taking a toll it was a good time to rest for several days with little no activity with lots of sleep. It has affected my timeline for my ‘benchmarks’ slightly but I should hopefully be back to full strength and activity in the next couple days. My last 500m row was at 1:43 (PR) and I know that can come down a great deal. Over a week ago Cindy was at 24 again room for improvement. A week from this Friday or Saturday will be my new Fran test and I hope to be completely rested by then as I hope to hit a really good time.

No comments: