Friday, February 6, 2009

Why Me?

My new blog title is a poem from author, poet and painter D.H. Lawrence. His genre resided in modernism and a societal deconstruction as a result from industrialization. His main themes were society and sexuality and later of religion and the occult – funny how many Christians have this obsession.



The title of this particular poem is;

"Self-pity". So let’s look at it again;
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.

There are only two lines to this poem but every single time I read it, it seems to be infinite and filled with meaning and power. Obvious but...First line: statement referring to a wild or free animal never accepting self-pity. Second: an example: even in death the ‘wild thing’ never regretted possible failure.

This got me to thinking about how humans on the other hand have the ability to allow themselves to be affected by self-pity. Some of us tend to almost bathe in it at times more then others. When some of us have a run of bad luck, a common reaction is to ask "why me?" This is normally followed by our preferred method of ‘dealing’ with this rejection or misfortune i.e. not leaving the comfort of home, turning to a vice i.e. food or alcohol, and so on.

Now to be fair to us humans, we live and deal with emotions, sympathy, empathy and for some of us sensitivity. But these feelings should not allow us to use them to fuel depression resulting in excuses.

We have recently ended our first month of 2009 and with reference to things I have said about "obtaining goals" the first month of the year is probably the best time to start reflecting on the positive things we would do in the new year, i.e. resolutions. [Ok at this point I may come across as a bit of a jerk (ya I know what else is new?) but I will explain later why I am not.]

Ask yourself; Am I meeting those good intentions? That question must be reviewed with any promise we make to ourselves. Each of us must answer this honestly, if we do not we are lying to ourselves and failure is immanent. It is acceptable to have a few missed steps as long as we recognize why, get back to it and learn from our mistakes as to avoid failure.

Part II; will be posted later today. It was just a little to long to put in as one.

No comments: