Thursday, May 14, 2009

Be Strong

Just last Saturday I was feeling sorry for myself for not getting off the couch. I spent most of my day watching two movies back to back and then a hockey game later that night, followed by another movie. This was of course due to a relatively late night the night before. It was also my rest day but even on rest days I do something i.e. work around the house, walks, light hike...

But after I thought of that I was reminded of all those times that I may have made excuses to not do something physical or challenging (be it mental, emotional or physical) and I am not proud of those moments. Luckily I don’t make excuses often as I get a great deal of enjoyment from pushing myself to do better, to succeed, to overcome... It is the reason we complete school. Compete for a career or position. Take care of our kids. Train for health. It is why most of us continuously push ourselves to meet all the little and big goals in all realms of life.

But there is a flipside to this, isn’t there? I have talked about it again and again; excuses. The other day when I sat on my couch, and did absolutely nothing, I was thinking of these excuses we create for ourselves and end up believing them, they become a part of our life.

Perfect example I asked a friend if she thought she was addicted to smoking or if she chooses to smoke. She was the first person ever to give me the intelligent and realistic answer without having succumbed to denial: "I suppose everyone who smokes is (addicted), including myself. I know it is gross and terrible for my health, but I make no attempt to quit.

Most people I ask that question usually state: I chose to smoke because I like it. No you chose to smoke because you are addicted to it and the addiction tells you, you like it.

So the point is that when I thought of this in great detail I decided to think of how I inspire myself to stay healthy and active and often it comes from within, or those around me or sometimes I seek the inspirational lives of others. I decided to search for others who have overcome far greater challenges and see what they have accomplished

Thanks to Crossfit CDA I came across the post, aptly titled, No Excuses. It begins with

"I’m tired. I’m getting over a cold. I’m too old. I’m too fat. Working out makes me sweat. It’s too cold. It’s too hot. I’m sore. I don’t have enough time. I have 2 kids. My job is too stressful. The gym is hard.

The blog showcases athlete and author of; No Excuses: The True Story of a Congenital Amputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling and in Life, Kyle Maynard. Born with congenital amputation of the forearms and lower legs. Kyle has accomplished a great deal and as his autobiography states; "he excels: as a champion athlete, inspirational speaker, college student (who can use a cell phone, type fifty words a minute, and maintain an A average), and male model.

So the next time you start reminding yourself of those excuses take some inspiration from this man;













1 comment:

Fitness Foodie said...

Yes the mind is powerful, but it can be used to defy yourself into believing your negative excuses and by feeding into them over and over they become so deeply ingrained that it is hard to see reality and that they are that - EXCUSES or LIES.

Motivating oneself to achieve their goals no matter what endeavor that might be in first requires the recognition / acknowledgment of those EXCUSES and LIES.