
I am usually not one to buy American beer unless I am in the US for a weekend or longer and have no choice. When I am there I usually stick to the cheap beers MGD 30 cans for $10cdn. Or if I want something that actually has flavor with a decent price I usually get a twelve of Rolling Rock. I usually prefer beers in a green bottle to get that almost rotten “skunky” taste you get like beck or heiny.
While picking up some pints I was a little bored and needed a new taste. I happened to see a six of Sam Adams. I have heard that they pride themselves on having a kind of micro brew taste and I am always up for a micro brew especially bitters. Plus they were founded and are still located in Boston, MA how could I go wrong everything green and Irish.
Quick history Samuel Adams Beer Company started in 1985 by the great-grandson of some guy who was making beer under a different name in the late 1800’s. The grandson -Jim Koch- teamed up with the Doctor, Dr. Joseph Owades, who created light beer in the 70’s, wow a beer Dr what a great job. He was actually a PhD in Biochemistry and after WWII he started working for a Yeast and brew company in Boston. Here he tinkered with all those bubbly molecules and ended up creating BEER’S weaker and dimwitted brother light beer. They have 10 regular beers and make a few seasonal brews.
Back to the task at hand. I grabbed the last six of Samuel Adam’s “Boston Lager” and was on my way. Warning!!! No twist offs and unless I happened to have a bad batch or didn’t know my own strength, I snapped the top off of three of the beers and lost half of the brew each time my six was down to a four. Second warning!!! I should mention that not only do you not want to consume broken pieces of glass, the consumption of alcohol should be done in a responsible manner, of course beer is not alcohol so consume as much of it as fast as you wish.
Ok, First things first; like most beers this one needed to be really cold and the first one I had was not exceptionally cold. But the flavor was excellent. Nice bitter flavor, full, rich malty and hopy with a caramel flavor similar to that of “Griffon Pale ale” and a light Guinness. The lager has a great amber colour and a soft white head that if poured properly –not out of a broken bottle- is rather small. All in all a great tasting beer for $11.50cdn which is a decent price when you consider that Keith’s is $12. They are the smaller 330ml bottles which it shouldn't matter but always seems to.
While on the topic of beer I use to buy a beer magazine just before college partly for the knowledge of beer but mainly for the great pubs and bars around the world and their unique attractions like one that I think it was in Nevada or something and had over 125 taps of beer, and it was self serve.
You paid a fee and were able to try any beer that you wanted. Tracy remember the other day when you asked me what I believed was in heaven –bc of my strong catholic background and it was a good question- well heaven is somewhere in Nevada and I am sure that if I went there for the brew I would end up meeting my maker.
Any way to substitute this magazine I have now found a couple decent websites on beer and beer related activities and products. I have become more of appreciative the many differing tastes of beer and ‘ratebeer’ is more of people posting about beers.
http://www.beer.com/
http://www.ratebeer.com/
So if you enjoy a bitter beer that is a little heavier then your average lager but lighter then a stout you would enjoy the Samuel Adam’s Boston lager. Come on only great things come out of Boston right, The Drop Kick Murphy’s, their MLS soccer team - New England Revolution- are excellent, Boston College and their athletics, and of course the Bruins, oh wait scratch that last one dammit…
Forts –music- I had to listen to the Murphy’s while writing this…
P.S. For anyone interested a road trip to Boston when the Murphy’s are playing as well as the New England Revolution, or the Bruins and a tour of the brewery of course.
While picking up some pints I was a little bored and needed a new taste. I happened to see a six of Sam Adams. I have heard that they pride themselves on having a kind of micro brew taste and I am always up for a micro brew especially bitters. Plus they were founded and are still located in Boston, MA how could I go wrong everything green and Irish.
Quick history Samuel Adams Beer Company started in 1985 by the great-grandson of some guy who was making beer under a different name in the late 1800’s. The grandson -Jim Koch- teamed up with the Doctor, Dr. Joseph Owades, who created light beer in the 70’s, wow a beer Dr what a great job. He was actually a PhD in Biochemistry and after WWII he started working for a Yeast and brew company in Boston. Here he tinkered with all those bubbly molecules and ended up creating BEER’S weaker and dimwitted brother light beer. They have 10 regular beers and make a few seasonal brews.
Back to the task at hand. I grabbed the last six of Samuel Adam’s “Boston Lager” and was on my way. Warning!!! No twist offs and unless I happened to have a bad batch or didn’t know my own strength, I snapped the top off of three of the beers and lost half of the brew each time my six was down to a four. Second warning!!! I should mention that not only do you not want to consume broken pieces of glass, the consumption of alcohol should be done in a responsible manner, of course beer is not alcohol so consume as much of it as fast as you wish.
Ok, First things first; like most beers this one needed to be really cold and the first one I had was not exceptionally cold. But the flavor was excellent. Nice bitter flavor, full, rich malty and hopy with a caramel flavor similar to that of “Griffon Pale ale” and a light Guinness. The lager has a great amber colour and a soft white head that if poured properly –not out of a broken bottle- is rather small. All in all a great tasting beer for $11.50cdn which is a decent price when you consider that Keith’s is $12. They are the smaller 330ml bottles which it shouldn't matter but always seems to.
While on the topic of beer I use to buy a beer magazine just before college partly for the knowledge of beer but mainly for the great pubs and bars around the world and their unique attractions like one that I think it was in Nevada or something and had over 125 taps of beer, and it was self serve.
You paid a fee and were able to try any beer that you wanted. Tracy remember the other day when you asked me what I believed was in heaven –bc of my strong catholic background and it was a good question- well heaven is somewhere in Nevada and I am sure that if I went there for the brew I would end up meeting my maker.
Any way to substitute this magazine I have now found a couple decent websites on beer and beer related activities and products. I have become more of appreciative the many differing tastes of beer and ‘ratebeer’ is more of people posting about beers.
http://www.beer.com/
http://www.ratebeer.com/
So if you enjoy a bitter beer that is a little heavier then your average lager but lighter then a stout you would enjoy the Samuel Adam’s Boston lager. Come on only great things come out of Boston right, The Drop Kick Murphy’s, their MLS soccer team - New England Revolution- are excellent, Boston College and their athletics, and of course the Bruins, oh wait scratch that last one dammit…
Forts –music- I had to listen to the Murphy’s while writing this…
P.S. For anyone interested a road trip to Boston when the Murphy’s are playing as well as the New England Revolution, or the Bruins and a tour of the brewery of course.
1 comment:
Beer and sports? Nice topics, much better than what BP's talking about. :)
Love the Sam Adams. In the States, they now have a line of like 6-8 different brews...
Fond Sam Adams memory: I was at a two day job interview in Washington, DC (well, Reston, VA to be precise) and I was out for lunch with the team that I was going to be working with, and they had Sam Adams on tap, something very rare in Canada.
One of the guys could tell I was excited and asked why was I so happy to see Sam Adams on tap? to which I replied: "I can't get any in Canada". Another of the guys in the group only came into the conversation at that point, took one beat, and said "tough break", as it sounded like I wasn't talking about beer when I said what I did.
I guess you had to be there, but it was pretty f-ing funny. And after all that, I did get the job. I hope it wasn't because they felt sorry for my situation... ;)
Post a Comment