
Many people view themselves one way but do actually live another. For example I believe that I do my part for the environment, but if I had the choice I would probably drive a hummer for long trips with all my gear –bikes, camping gear and so on- and/or an extremely unpractical sports car that has a V12 or w16 -two juxtaposed V8 engine blocks- which would burn massive amounts of fuel.
This brought me to think -as I do every time I buy my 6/49s- what would be the first things I would buy with millions of dollars and if money didn’t matter. We all dream like this from time to time. Mine seem to never change though;
- Make sure my siblings, and parents –including in-laws- could live comfortably. Pay their homes off and so on.
- Invest large amounts of money to have the ability to merely live off the interest.
- Build my ideal 3 to 4000 sqft home –while attempting to be modest I would still have to have fire places, huge kitchen bc we love to cook and lets face all parties end up in the kitchen, rec-room (pool table, bar, darts, plasma TVs…) full on home gym, large patios, hot-tub and a great deal of land to make bike jumps, a rink in the winter, huge garage…aprox 2 million with furnishings
- Vehicles; I would have one of each style, SUV Land Rover L3 for Tracy 60K, and a hummer h3 40K, exotic sport Lamborghini Murcielago 300K, muscle Shelby GT 500 80K, Luxury sedan BMW 7 Series 80K, dirt bikes…
- TRAVEL with my wife; 4 to 6 months of the year would be spent on traveling. Spend over a month or two at each destination.
Although this list represent my huge dreams, even if I had millions I would probably be much more modest then that as I was brought up to not waste money -too much- and to respect the environment and so on. And do I need the biggest TV or the nicest car to survive no. That list represents a great deal of greed and waste of resources.
But you only live once; you can’t take your money with you when you go so why not enjoy it now. Many things on that list I will do but in a realistic and affordable manner, the house smaller scale and slowly furnish it the way I want, a more modest car but fun (X-terra, or Hummer H3 who knows) only one of course, and travel as much as I can.
I can’t complain I don’t do without; I have great family and friends and would never want that to change bc of money. I guess in the end I would am somewhat of a hypocrite but if it came down to the bigger things I believe that I would side with my morals and not gluttony.
4 comments:
Good question. I don't play the lotto, so I never find myself with this theoretical conundrum... If I had to decide, it'd be pretty darn close to yours:
1) Buy a small boat and medium-sized cottage not too far from Ottawa on a lake where the fishing's good and the neighbours are few.
2) Jeep Grand Cherokee, some kind of street-legal rally-type car and whatever safe thing that K would like...
3) New home with a bigger yard and a bit more room that includes the games room you described, nice kitchen, decked-out workshop, home theatre, etc...
4) Take care of family and friends in need, as well as start some kind of charitable fund or sponsored sporting event.
5) Take my family to all the places they've ever wanted to visit (and if there happen to be high stakes poker tourneys on at the same time, so be it!)
-Stan
PS - And if there's enough left over, I'd like to finally see a Leafs game at the ACC...
I already made a list of people I'd share my winnings with if I managed to win millions of dollars in the lottery. After that, it's all about spending. I'm with you, enjoy it. Just see if you can get that Hummer in an electric version. It's an environmental disgrace!
Quick Question: Any chance I'm on that list?! :)
um um um ? I don't like to think about things like this. It feels great to let the mind wonder and explore wonderful thoughts of indulgence... but then reality hits and it sucks not to have the options.
I'd probably get out of the 9 to 5 grind. If Alex's number 1 existed I'd be all over it... but I'm not sure it does anymore. So I'd learn to fly and find something remote that's easily accessible with my float plan. I'd travel and spend more time with my family out west.
I'd probably find a good franchise to sink my teeth into... cause I need to keep busy and like to make money. I don't think my enjoyment in making money would change if my pockets were already full.
Thanks for the thought provoking question.
KP
Post a Comment