Friday, June 15, 2007

Hike for a Cure; Another 'step' towards the fight against Cancer.

I mentioned a few days ago that I would be posting a very important blog and this is it.

Several months ago I was told that a very close cousin of mine (Marjolene) had been diagnosed with cancer. In recent years this seems to be the norm for everyone. We are constantly being made aware that some family members, friends, acquaintances are being diagnosed with cancer. It is at an alarming rate and seems to increase day by day.

Last week my mother phoned me to inform me that they found a tumor on Marjolene’s brain. So far there is no mention as to what the next step is as we are receiving information as she gets it. Cancer has no biases, it does not care who it affects or when. Living day to day we can only do what we can to avoid the obvious things that can make us sick.

Needless to say when I received this new news about my cousin, it did not sit well with me. Other family members and friends have had similar problems and some have been lucky and others not. This information has prompted me to do something more. I contacted the Canadian Cancer Society and have been speaking with a women from the Ottawa division. So as of this morning I received the call and the go ahead with my idea.

On September 14th 2007 I will be ‘Hiking for a Cure’ on the national trail from Parliament hill, in Ottawa, to Wakefield Quebec via Gatineau park trails. I pledge to hike 100kms of trails in approximately 24 hours. We will be camping the first night in the park and then at the end on Saturday there will be a gathering of family and friends in an Ottawa pub most likely -more details to follow.

I will be training for this challenge and I will have some partners (Tracy, Ivan) that will hike with me for some major portions and others to help set up the camp so that when our day of hiking is done we won’t have much to do but relax.

So this is where the support comes in. I have been given full support from the Canadian Cancer Society and will have access to a great deal of their promotional articles, use of their logo and unlimited donation forms. I hope to raise a great deal of money for this research as it can affect anyone person at any time.

I hope to have your support. Donations can be made in any amount big or small as every little bit helps. Those close by can give me a donation directly. Those not so close can write cheques made out to the Canadian Cancer Society. So they are counted towards my event I will ask you to please write ‘Hike for a Cure’ Fortier, in the memo portion of the cheque. Donations of $20 or more will receive a tax receipt. I will also be sending out a more detailed and to the point email about the event itself, the gathering to follow on Saturday the 15th and some fund raising events before the actual hike.

Although I do not have a set number in mind I would like to donate as much as possible to help with cancer research. So with your help, as the cancer society says it best,
‘Let’s make cancer history’.

Thanks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Marc, I admire your conviction on this very worthwhile cause. Goes without saying that you can count on a donation from us.

Unknown said...

Thanks Stan I really appreciate it. There will be details to follow.