
I have always enjoyed books based on military tactics, missions and so on. I also enjoy reading true stories of physical and mental challenges. What better then books about men who have made great sacrifices and came up with revolutionary Intel on how to complete sensitive and top secret missions.Five years ago my father gave me a book from the direct point of view of the soldier. The book, “Rogue Warrior”, is the autobiography of one of the toughest SOBs in the military, Richard Marcinko. Marcinko and his men created revolutionary military tactics that are utilized by the SEALs. As a lieutenant for the SEALs in Vietnam, he led what was considered by the Navy “the most successful SEAL operation in the (Mekong) Delta.” Marcinko and his men killed great numbers of vietcong and proceeded to destroy six sampans.
After his first tour he was promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade. After this Marcinko wanted a second tour in Vietnam where he completed several highly successful missions and was rewarded with Lieutenant Commander and several medals of honor. There was also a confirmed rumour that the Vietcong had a bounty out for Marcinko’s head. These were the reasons among others of why he was considered such a deadly warrior.
Once completing missions in Vietnam Marcinko would go on to work with SEAL team six in 1979. Here he aided in the Iran hostage crisis named; Operation Eagle Claw. Would later finish his degree as well as an MA in international relations and is now a freelance consultant for many large corporations. There are many criticisms about marcinko many have to deal with his brash attitude but a great deal are based on his tactics. But in Marcinko’s world of clandestine missions there was but one question, “Them or me?” Although not always by the book Marcinko did what he had to do to ensure the safety of his men, himself and then his country.
This past summer for my birthday a friend of mine (Alex) gave me a book along the same line as Marcinko’s. “Inside Delta Force” by Eric Haney. Eric Haney retired as Command Sergeant Major in 1989 after serving in the Delta Force for 8 years. He was involved with operation eagle claw and was actual in a plane that went down in that conflict.
Haney suffered through Airborne Ranger training and had served as one in Vietnam. He was recognized as one of the best in his division and was quickly making a name for himself as a born leader, decision maker, and accomplished soldier. This made him a perfect candidate for a newly created division in the Army, Special Operations Unit Delta (Delta Force no not that bad Chuck Norris movie). Haney accepted the challenge.
When he began the selection process for Delta he would experience challenges of mind and body that the average person could not comprehend. 180 were asked to apply for the selection program and only 18 made it through. The training would move through physical applications, sharp shooting i.e. being able to put two shots into a terrorist with hostages all around and only a few inches as a window. To room breaching, demolition and finally espionage similar to that of the CIA. Haney would become a military consultant and after 9/11 was often seen on national TV being asked for his professional opinions on the matter. Rather amazing soldier.
Both books are great reads. Major similarities/differences; I didn’t realize the Delta force did so much espionage. Very interesting as I believe delta is more like the CIA in that respect then the SEALs.
SEAL training and hell week for that matter still think that it is a little more demanding, but have to admit once I realized all the miles that were calculated and the navigational cluster fuck the delta operaters had to go through for selection, it was by no means ‘a walk in the park’. The Delta men suffered immensely and were always left questioning if they made the right decisions.
The two as soldiers honestly I think that Marcinko comes across in his book very macho and brash, but you have to think of the world this guy is coming from. He attempts to paint the picture perfectly and is not around the bush. It is war, war is not nice, and you want to know if the guy next you will stay and fight with you tooth and nail or will he run and hide.
Haney has a different approach. Similar worlds but more of the CIA operative type. He seems to try and respect his readers and is probably the same way in real life. I am sure that he is probably extremely polite and would not curse around a lady or in front of anyone for that matter. I felt that the contrast of both books that dealt with similar situations was rather interesting. But I guess they are both completely different people and soldiers so that is to be expected.
I highly recommend both. If not for anything more then to get a feel for why these guys want to protect their countries. By the way Haney is the guy on the left.
2 comments:
Very good analysis of the similarities and diverging storytelling. Marcinko's a real jerk, you can easily see how he eventually lost his command of SEAL SIX, but I agree that his was the only personality that could have gotten things rolling in the first place.
One of the funny things in that book is that it feels anachronistic to read it in the modern era. All he really mentions about his family is leaving his wife for months/years on end and glorify all the fooling around he did while he was gone. No editor in the world would let him talk about that if he was trying to sell that book to a publisher today.
I'm almost done reading it, Forts, I promise you'll get it back sometime before the end of the year. :)
Oh, and by the way: The spine finally gave up on the paperback, I'll see what I can do to repair it if you like, but I'm sorry to say that it's now a two-part series.
No worries about the book it was on its way, plus we have had it around for a long time. And you are right he was an asshole that got the job done.
What I would love to see from Haney is a second book with more detail (without full disclosure of course)on the men he worked with as well as some of the missions. Supposedly he is working on another book and maybe more.
I really enjoyed it, it made me want to learn more about his story.
thanks again
Post a Comment