Of course last nights win came at a cost as one of the Bruin’s top defenseman, Aaron Ward, was injured and had to leave the game. Ward was skating in towards Pittsburgh’s defenseman, Sergei Gonchar, near the end boards and as he got there Gonchar accidentally hit Ward with an elbow in the neck. The hit left Ward with a neck injury and although he skated off pretty much on his own, he was coughing up blood before he left the ice.
I also started thinking about the trades and not that it really bugs me that much I just felt compelled to say it. Trades really do ruin the game quite a bit for me. I don’t mean pre season trading but the trades made during the season before the trade deadline. I know, I know hockey fans that follow stats and players and so on will argue that it is a crucial part of the game or that it creates a decent playing field for playoff bids and blah, blah, blah.
But I don’t follow stats and I only follow some key players on certain teams. It just seems like if you start a season with a team you should at least finish it that way. To me it would be much more interesting then seeing guys go from one team to another over and over again and it would probably keep these ridiculous salaries a tad bit lower. Especially when the question of team loyalty comes in.
Case in point, we were watching the Ottawa game the other night and Commodore was asked what it was like to be playing for the Sens 36 hours after he was playing with the Hurricanes. He said something about getting into the grove with the other players and so on not important here. The point is that the game losses its luster as players have no loyalty to their team as with some contracts they could be traded at any time or ask for a trade for that matter. If they had loyalty to their team they would want to stay and even if it wasn’t their choice they wouldn’t be able to play for a team as they would still want their old club to win.
Yes I know big story for nothing but it is just my thought that trades during the season tend to ruin the game for me. And I am talking loyalty where you want to play hard for your team and would hate to be traded in the off season. I am not speaking of insanity which was what Ryan Smith provided the world with. I have never seen a grown man cry so much for having to leave his home town. That was rather pathetic and annoying.
I must retract a statement I made quite some time ago about the film The Departed. Tracy and I decided to give it another chance as the first time we watched it we weren’t in the mood for a movie as I believe we were killing time on a Friday before we went out to have some drinks or were have a few drinks waiting for people to stop by. Whatever the reason -kind of escapes me now- we were preparing for a night out and the movie was stopped several times during this process.
But we had nothing to do and nothing else to watch so we gave it a chance for several reason. We heard that it was a good movie and of course my love of Boston and the use of the Dropkick Murphys’ song -I’m Shipping up to Boston- that was used in the film. And there was lots of pipes and the repetition of the Murphys made it worth while.
I must admit that it was a good story decent dialogue and the right amount of sarcasm and comments from most characters in the movie and of all people a Baldwin. All and all a decent movie but I hope that with the salary that Matt Damon is making he will take some acting lessons, wow he sucks
4 comments:
I thought the funniest part of that Ryan Smyth press conference was when he said he'll try his hardest to win the Stanley Cup with the Islanders then bring it back to Edmonton!!! Why, to rub it in the face of all the Oilers fans??? Too funny!
Forgot about that thanks BP, made me laugh again to hear it.
Glad you gave The Departed a second chance, I was quite surprised when you and T both tore the flick apart when you saw it the first time.
"I'VE CLIMBED UP THE TOPSAILS AND LOST MY LEG!"
-Stan
Yup glad we did too. We were obviously not into it the first time we watched it as it was a great movie loved it, except for Damon of course.
"I'm shipping off... to find my wooden leg"
(and for those who are not sure those are the actual lyrics)
Post a Comment