Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Couple things.

I am scratching my head too Larry, I have no idea how you got in…???
Weather: snow -and lots of it- has been great, and especially on the hills. We have one big ski weekend left in a couple weeks at Jay peak and after that weekend I would honestly be happy with some milder temps right and sun. But this is still pretty sweet lots of snow and sun;

Trip news; while looking for things to do after our 7 day trek, I came up with one activity that I was upset we missed in Ireland; attending a European soccer or rugby match. I have come up with a few possibilities and it will all depend on where we are at certain times of the trip. A few of the games actually involve national teams such as Germany and France. So I hope to find something we can attend.


Events; I previously mentioned Ireland which reminded me that St Paddy’s day is just around the corner. As always can’t wait but not sure exactly what I will be doing although not much changes -pints and pub. It’s a Monday and I have already been asked by a few people if I will head out on the Saturday to celebrate. I just want to ask those people; are you serious?

St. Paddy’s day is one day the 17th. No matter what day it on it is not to be celebrated on any other day. To do otherwise is utter blasphemy. Unless of course you have to work nights, or have children to take care of or some sort of prior engagement -that doesn’t involve large amounts of stout- or become extremely ill.

Politics; Mayor, Larry O’Brien, and President Gorge W. have many similarities. They both love big business, using political and financial powers to get what ‘they’ want. They remove morality in their decision making -one of my poli sci profs always said that if you can remove morality, above any thing else, you will be a great politician, I think he was right.

It has been known for some time that Bush doesn’t read any daily paper -maybe just the comics (insert Bush laugh here)- and in an interview this week O’Brien stated he doesn’t either. O’Brien said he reads the business section but nothing else as he says the articles are always inaccurate. Ok there is some truth to the fact that you are not going to always find stellar award winning articles in the Citizen like you might in The New York Times for example -one of my personal favorites.

But don’t you think that it would make sense to get a feel for what your citizens’ are thinking and reading? Maybe get a feel for what the major concerns or topics are, in the hopes of using this information along with some political foresight to implement proper legislation or what have you, in an attempt to assist your local community in all sectors.

But another thing in common with Bush is that Larry is merely a businessman and both are concerned with benefiting one person, themselves. These decisions are usually at the cost of those they are supposed to be helping, us the general public. But help doesn’t come often and we continuously get sandbagged. But what do I know I am merely just another cog in the wheel.

Hunter said it best; "Politics is the art of controlling your environment."




No comments: