Wednesday, June 25, 2008

No Handlebars.

Lately I have been on the prowl for some new music. I seem to be constantly doing this. The most recent possible purchase could the new City and Colour album. Most of the songs are similar but the more I listen to it the more I like his sound. The guitar play and voice seem to be mixed so well that it is hard not to get sucked into it.
Dallas Green, originally from AlexisonFire, has also added some really decent lyrics to his songs. And of course it can’t hurt to have a Canadian music icon like Gord Downie sing a song with you on your album.

The other band is entrenched in a genre that I am not usually to concerned with. But I have to admit that there are several songs by the Flobots that I am actually really enjoying. There alternative rap/rock sound has a mix of Cake, Eminem style rap vocals and a violin thrown if for good measure. I know this sounds like a horrible mix but take a listen to May Day, and the reason I know of them Handlebars which is getting a great deal of air time.

The other reason why I liked their sound was the lyrics and meaning behind them. They speak about the ever growing number of impoverished people dieing from starvation among other things. How unjust the political and economical world of the West continues to conduct its day to day activities.

But then I started thinking about how many bands I know that have lyrics in the same fashion that challenge the status quo. They should all be applauded for their individual efforts for attempting to initiate positive change. Buuut on the negative side these are merely lyrics from a song right? As we all know actions speak louder then words.

So do they back up what they say? In the case of the Flobots the answer is a resounding YES! The group started a cause called "Street Team." Essentially they created an ongoing database of volunteers to work in assisting Student Peace Alliance, Child Support in Denver and Progressive Coalition.

And as one of the band members, Brer Rabbit, states, "There are lots of things we can say theoretically about wanting to activate a population, but we are actually trying to create a real plan to allow people to be a positive force in the community."

Not sure if their music is something that I will listen to for long as it is getting repetitive very quickly. Regardless it will be downloaded and not something to be purchased for sure. I hope that they maintain this energetic and broad based approach of attempting to create awareness and educate the masses on the issues and problems we have. But more importantly it is great to see a band actually follow up with what they preach. If change is to happen there needs to be a great deal more of "do as I do."

Finally there is an aspiring musician who is worth listening to. She does her own spin on a cover of Handlebars by the flobots and is really, really good. She has many others along with some of her own originals. This girl should be signed to a label.

No WOD, not a great deal of sleep last night as it turned out to be a later night then expected.

2 comments:

Fitness Foodie said...

Ya I really liked her version of handlebars and her original song as well is impressive. Listening to her talk before the songs are just as entertaining.... not sure what she is on, but man she seems wacked out or flaky - but it is entertainging and funny.

Katie said...

I actually really like the song Handlebars...