Looks like Canadian lakes could end up being toxic mine dumping sites. Yup those greedheads have found a dirty little way to pump where they want to for less through a subsection (Schedule Two of the mining effluent regulations) in the Fisheries Act. The act states that it is illegal for companies to put any harmful substances to fish bearing waters. *By the way that pic is a creek in Canada in case you hadn’t recognized the trees; we are smarter then that come on!But it seems that in Schedule Two federal bureaucrats can redefine lakes as "tailings impoundment areas." That means mining companies don't need to build containment ponds for toxic mine tailings. This in turn obviously means they can pump directly into the lakes. Another classic case of bureaucrats selling out for votes among other things.
Now on top of the surface if this becomes allowable and common, it will mean more polluted lakes reducing fresh water, and a hell of a lot of dead and/or toxic fish. But also don’t forget that bodies of water are also carbon sinks. Not sure if miners and bureaucrats know this so I will spell it out for them. Carbon sinks sequester CO2, this in turn allows humans and other life to breath, breath extends living a great deal.
They always seem to find new ways of screwing this planet and justify it as a necessity through free enterprise and providing a service. My question to these people is; when there are no lakes, forests, or customers left to take advantage of, what will you do then? Who am I kidding they probably figured out cloning as to always have poor schmucks to take advantage of.
Sports note; I can honestly say that I have not seen a great deal of the Euro cup this year. I usually make a point to take in at least a few games in the early rounds and then make sure to see the finals. But b/c of being rather busy and reduced the cable, I have not watched anything.
I have kept myself up to date by reading articles and match updates. As it stands the first of the 8 teams moving on are Group A; Portugal and Turkey, Group B; Croatia and Germany, Group C; The Netherlands and Italy, and Group D; Spain and either Sweden or Russia (depending on today’s matches). Many believe that this might be Spain’s year to take the cup. From what I have read the highlights I have seen from some of the matches I can see how Spain has a chance of winning it all. As the matches move closer to the finals tomorrow I will be making a little more of an effort to actually put some time aside to take in some of the games.
And finally the WOD; Chest day
DB flat 10-8-7 DS 8 Incline 10-8-8, Flys 10-8-8 DS 10
A new one I have come up with and will be tinkering with as time goes on as I want to add one or two more exercises to it or three to make it 8x8x8.
Draining 88's (8x8) 8 rounds of;
8 Power Cleans 95#
8 DB Thrusters 45#
8 Push-ups
8 Dead lifts
8 Rope Crunches.
Finished with a 500m row (had a timer that worked) hit 1.48.1 not bad for not rowing in a while, was completely burnt after this one and the last 75m thought I was going to puke.
A short 6K after work and yet again EAT.
1 comment:
Hi Fort,
I caught your post about Canadian lakes being turned into dumps and I
thought I'd drop you a line. My name is Thom Duggan and I'm one of the many Canadians working to end this backward plan. So, I just wanted to say hi and thank you, for one.
One of the ways we're going to be trying to keep Canadians involved
and informed on this issue is though the blogging circles in Canada.
I'd like it if you'd agree to join our "blogcorps". It's mostly just a
special list that we'd keep of bloggers, like yourself, who would like updates and alerts about the issue from time to time (no
coverage-obligation, of course). Some bloggers have signaled that they want to get involved more deeply in the campaign, and that's great too.
If you'd like some background information even now on the issue, I can send you a few things. Or if you'd like to get in touch with someone from the campaign, either nationally or in your general area, we'll be able to do that stuff, too (we have a webpage coming soon that will
bring local citizens, bloggers, scientists, and activists
together...more on that later).
We've been blown away by the response online; thanks for being a part of that. Would you like to receive updates from us on this in the future?
Thom Duggan
Coalition to Stop Lake Dumping
thom.duggan [at] gmail
Post a Comment