Ever need a holiday from your holiday? That was what I felt coming back to Ottawa after being at a friend’s cottage for Canada and several days. Usually a holiday for Tracy and I involves hiking, biking or some form of strenuous activity followed by a few days reward of touring and seeing some of the night life to relax and enjoy a few beverages, but the cottage was not this kind of holiday.
While at the cottage we had a great time as the company and weather could not have been better. It was all toped off with great food and plenty of drink. The days started with champagne and OJ and believe me not in the fancy way as the second last day they were made in pint glasses. The rest of the days were filled with swimming, horseshoe tourneys, and sitting by the water enjoying the company. Nights were filled with great BBQ suppers and games of Cranium lots of laughs and maybe a game of Drinko or two.
All-in-all it was a great few days with good friends we had not seen in a long time. But coming back to reality really hurt especially the recovery time of two days. But b/c of all this self-inflicted punishment and fun, I decided Saturday and Sunday would consist of some training punishment to get back into the groove.
Saturday was hard to get back into it but did so with arms and then
WOD 6 Rounds of
10 chins
20 DB snatches 10/side @ 25lbs
20 Floor wipers 10/side @ 75lbs
10 Power Cleans @ 75lbs
*This was not overly hard but to get back into it it. I was still a little dehydrated and was trying to get on track with my water and did not want to create an injury due to fatigue.
Sunday was DB press work (back to 115lbs DB for 4 to 6 reps) and Incline BB.
WOD – I though it was time to step it up and truly get back into it
For time:
50 25lbs DB swings
200m Row
25 DB Flys @ 25lbs
500m Row
25 DB Flys @ 25lbs
200m Row
50 25lbs DB swings
Time 10:58 * I did the DB flys as a tip from Katie to include what I was working on that day (chest) in my WOD, thanks Katie it worked well.
Plus I followed this immediately with a slow paced 8km to dry out the body. I completed it in 47mins, normally when training for a 10K I am usually doing 8ks under 36mins.
Today was leg work only & followed by a hike tonight. Back to crossfit again tomorrow for the rest of the week. And it seems that there is another crossfit addict in the making; my wife Tracy.
She has always trained hard with weights and running and at one time being a personal trainer she has a vast knowledge of training. But she has asked me to set up some crossfit sessions that will work for her while she is recovering from a knee injury. Not only is she digging deep and pushing hard she is addicted to them and can not wait till her knee is better to do all of the movements and to do crossfit on a regular basis.
There is a great deal of news concerning politics and daily events that I am currently attempting to catch up on as once I am on any extended holiday consisting of 3 days or more, I do not listen to the news, read any newspapers or read my most visited sites like the Huffington Post, BBC, CBC, or CNN. I am sure once I get through the bulk of it I will have several things to write about and of course plenty of opinions to through around.
Love holidays but it is great to be back in the training groove.
6 comments:
Yes it was a great week at the cottage, with lots of laughs. I think I have sworn off the game DRINKO forever though.
As for crossfit, I knew I would like it, but did not think I would become that addicted that quick. It is like nothing I have ever done before - and I like to think I have pushed my body hard in many mental and physical challenges. This workout is certainly both a mental and physical challenge. Get better knee! I want to do more!
Forts, I for one am glad you're back. Too many people went on vacation which left me low on the amount of people I could harass for a few days... ;)
It's awesome that Tracy is becoming an addict. A recovering knee though will be challenging to work around because the squats and presses all involve knees. There's lots of things she can do though, and she could do lots of ring dips, push ups, chins, sit ups, kb swings, maybe some push presses and strict presses if her knee feels ok. Lots to get her addicted to! :)
Glad to hear you had fun on your vaca! :)
Thanks glad to be back in one way but would still like to be off. Yes I have her doing a great deal of chins, pull-ups, push-ups wipers, press, DB snatch w/out the squat and so on.
No rings yet though that will have to wait for our home gym.
Forts.... that's what tree limbs are for.... O:)
I love hollidays but I really agree I need a few days off after them. Going back to work doesn't cheer me up!
Vacation is wonderful but recovering from it can wreck havoc on the body in more ways then one on top of trying to get back into eating healthy. For me it takes more then a few days to get back on top of things. Good luck!!
Post a Comment